Steve

Well Known Member
I spoke to Van's tech help concerning the windshield on a slider 7/9 this morning.

Q. Drawing 43 Side View shows the lower aft edge of the windshield tangent to the upper aft edge of the F7106 forward top skin, i.e. no overlap of aluminum over plexiglass. Is this correct?
A. Yes. The epoxy filler and windshield fairing will cover this intersection. Another option is to slightly overlap the lower edge of the windshield over the upper aft edge of the F7106. Again, the filler and fairing will cover this. Vans does NOT recommend cutting a vertical slot in the aft portion of the F7106 to allow the aftmost 2" of the skin to overlap the windshield as in the RV-6.

Q. My F7106 forward top skin fits tightly where it wraps around the roll bar gusset causing a slight bump/crease in the skin. Other builders removed material from the corner of the gusset. Is this correct?
A. No. Vans suggests notching the F7106 skin just enough to clear or barely contact the gusset. Vans does not recommend removing any material from the roll bar gusset for strength reasons.

Getting prepped for plexi work,
Steve Fabiszak