rjcthree

Well Known Member
I have searched posts, but have not found what I am looking for. Lots of discussions about 'can an RV be set up for me because I'm short/tall/average', but none about the ACTUAL POSITION that they were installed.

I'm putting the big/akward stuff (like rudder pedals and flap actuator bar) in before riveting the forward deck. 5'11", average inseam, I figure I will place the pedals just forward of center.

Any measurement anyone could offer would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Rick 90432

Per the plans

gave plenty of legroom. I'm 5-10 and some change, 32' inseam, about the same as you.

I drilled for positions fore and aft of the plans, but will not be using them. Don't forget you have adjustments available with the seat locations.

David

rudder pedals

Rick,
people come in many shapes & sizes....my Dad & I were the same height, but always had to adjust everything when we swapped vehicles! He was all leg. I"m about 5' 11" with 32" inseam...like everyone else it seems ! :)
I found in my -9a that the pedals were WAY too far forward.
So I moved the seat back to the front position. This was bad, in that full aft stick is limited by my 'body parts',
also, my head hits the canopy, as it tapers to meet the windshield bow, even when the seatback is reclined, which I'm not crazy about. visibility is great...but not the constant 'clunk' into the canopy.

So obviously I need to move the pedals back, and rehash the cushions to get a lower position.

the lesson here,...... get into someone's 7 or 9, and see how it fits with their cushions etc. Put on a headset, and try not to beat up their canopy while moving around. Can you get full rudder AND brake without losing your balance with stick & throttle.
I'll try to get you some measurements, but the trial fit will be a much better plan I'm sure.

Last edited:
just shy of 6'1" tall, 32" inseam, pedals full forward. Would like even more legroom if it were possible.

How do you like your legs

FWIW I'm about 5-10, 32" as are others. My take on this is that pedal position depends on whether you like bent legs or straighter legs while flying. So, I agree that you should test someone else's airplane before figuring where to install your pedals. I have mine as far forward as the plans allow and my seat in the middle hinge, tilted back as far as it will go.

greg

Even if you move the top bar the pedals are attached to, unless you lengthen or shorten the connector between the cable and the pedal, the bottom of the pedal will be the same length away. Don't ask me how I found this one out.

I'm at this stage also. What I did was first to try and sit in the cockpit, didn't work as I don't have any interior cushions, so, I made a mark at 3 in. aft of F/W. I had clecoed the center bracket to the F/W. I then moved the rudder pedals back to most aft postion per that bracket. I drilled the 2 holes at the most forward postion, then used the aft hole of the fwd postion as my first hole in the aft most postion. This worked out almost perfectly. It is just a little fwd of the aft postion. I figured this would too far aft for me, so it will be fine. Then between the F/W hole and the now middle hole, I measured 1 in. from both holes. Now I had 4 fwd holes to anchor from to drill the remaining aft holes. Basicly I have 4 postions to chose from.

Rick Maury
RV7 SB

Even if you move the top bar the pedals are attached to, unless you lengthen or shorten the connector between the cable and the pedal, the bottom of the pedal will be the same length away. Don't ask me how I found this one out.

There also isn't a whole lot of room for changing this (some, but not a lot) as the pedals still need to swing forward for full deflection. I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam, and I'm happy with the placement of the pedals fully forward in my -6A.

Blocks rudder pedals

I have a set of 3 inch aluminum blocks with easy on/off. I put them on one set of pedals when my wife flies so she can reach them. She's happier that way than having the seat fully forward.

7/9 rudder pedal locations

I'm 68", 29" inseam, (AKA short fat) and my -9A pedals are full forward with the seat back in the middle position and full back against the cross member. Dan.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I put the pedal assembly in the forward most location. I also built the rudder pedal links per print (even tho it sez not to scale) with approx 1.5" center spacing for the AN-3 cable attach bolts. I'm probably going to remake those links another inch-ish longer some day.
Hope that helps.

Go ahead and drill a couple of hole positions

I moved the rudder pedal swing assemble after the first initial flights. Still like the seat in the rear position to clear the stick full aft . I install the Classic carpet which has about 1.5 inches of thickness. The result was the rudder bar was to far into the arch of you foot when your heals were on the carpet. This allowed the brakes to be inadvertently applied on both takeoff and landing rudder movement. Not good in a taildragger. I removed the pedals and welded a 1.5 inch flat plate to the horizontal and one side vertical leg of the pedal ( the side opposite the cylinder.) Well pleased with this mod they are actually toe brakes now. Also moved to one of the other holes I had drilled earlier. New holes would be almost impossible at that stage.