hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Does anyone know..
1. would the 3 legs from a 6A fit a 7A?
2. both ends of the legs?
3. has it been done?
4. what about gross weight issues?
5. how much less xwind ability?
6. prop clearance for 180 hp should be ok, right?
7. other issues?

leg Change

For what its worth, I asked Vans at Oshkosh last year if I could install 7A gear on my 6A under construction to get the higher stance and tail up. They told me it was a completely different setup and would not work.

The two gear legs are very different.

The two gear legs are very different. The 6A main gear legs are smaller in diameter where they mount in the plane than the 7A. I would guess the mounts are at a different angle and location also.

The nose gear is identical.

Last edited:
Does anyone know..
1. would the 3 legs from a 6A fit a 7A?
2. both ends of the legs?
3. has it been done?
4. what about gross weight issues?
5. how much less xwind ability?
6. prop clearance for 180 hp should be ok, right?
7. other issues?

I think I know why you asked this question. I've thought about this also.
If the 7A's sat a little tail low like the 6A's they might not be so prone to flipping on their nose.

I like the way the 7A's and 9A's look on the ground. They stand up proud like a Beechcraft Duke. But squatting like a Cherokee Six might be safer. Ughh!

Mark

6A vs 7A Gear

Also when I asked Vans at Oshkosh about the possibility of putting 7 gear on a 6 they said Van himself designed the 6 gear and he actually thought it was a better setup keeping the tail a little lower and helping the plane to get into the air. When I asked why they changed it then, that's when I was told the 7 was designed around available 8 parts to save money in production and to keep costs down. And (he said) that was the only reason the 6 was discontinued. At the time I though he was just feeding me some info to keep me happy but the more I look at it I'm sure he was being truthful. Amazing how just a few degrees in pitch can make a plane look so darn good just sitting there.