paulsteger

I'm New Here
I have a 6A that I did not build. The top and bottom cowlings are held together by two long, horizontal hinge pins that each have a drilled tab at the end to secure to the cowling front. What welding/ brazing process should I use to replace a tab that whose pin broke off just as it enters the tab, which I believe is stainless? Drawing just says to weld it. Original looked like it was soldered,though I don’t think that works with stainless.

I have a 6A that I did not build. The top and bottom cowlings are held together by two long, horizontal hinge pins that each have a drilled tab at the end to secure to the cowling front. What welding/ brazing process should I use to replace a tab that whose pin broke off just as it enters the tab, which I believe is stainless? Drawing just says to weld it. Original looked like it was soldered,though I don’t think that works with stainless.

TIG welding is good for small stainless parts.

Van's also sell the pins with the tabs already welded on, as another option:

TIG welding is good for small stainless parts.

Van's also sell the pins with the tabs already welded on, as another option:

Using a magnet you can determine if the retainer and pin are both stainless or not and as suggested, TIG welding would be an optional repair.
A 90 degree bend approximately 1/2"- 5/8" from the end of your remaining hinge pin and retained with one segment of female hinge will retain the hinge pin in place. Just need to drill a hole in the female hinge segment to fasten to the cowl and secure the hinge pin in place.

Silver soldering/silver brazing should be your weapon of choice - and joining dissimilar metals (pin/tab) should not be an issue.

HFS