Mark33

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a little input/advice from people who have had experience with both the 696 and 796 and to help guid me in to the right direction as to which one to get. Just as a side note, I'm building a 7 with a three screen G3X setup, so I'm leaning a little harder toward the 696 for consistency purposes. However, I have had a 560 so I am familiar with the touch screen as well. I'll be using whichever unit I decide on in a 4, if that makes any difference at all in the decision making process.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

I have a 696 so I am biased a bit but its a amazing unit that does more and has more features then I will probably ever be able to learn. With your planned panel it will fit right in. I would consider going that route and use the money saved for something else.

George

696 vs 796

First, you will not be disappointed with the G3X systems. I have been flying a two screen G3X, PFD and MFD, and cannot believe all the capabilties and features built into these units. The displays are crisp and bright, clearly visible in any light conditions.

I have also flown with the 696 and 796 extensively. Once you expereince the touch screen capabilities of the 796 it is hard to go backwards to non-touch screen. Another big feature that distinguishes the two as far as I know the 796 is the only one that displays sectional charts. I really like to see the actual sectional sometimes when I am flying. If you have used the smaller touch screens wait until you get your fingers on the 796 screen. My only gripe about the 796 with the sectional chart page is it will not at this time display track up. Garmin tech support claims they are working on this but it has something to do with FAA restrictions. Didn't quite understand that.

The touch screen allows you to accomplish tasks quicker that with the toggle and twist on the 696...

Either unit is great to fly with but if price was not an issue the 796 is worth the extra money.

And the tech support for the portables and the G3X either on the phone, via email or from the G3Xpert on this website is unmatched.

Thanks guys for the information, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I guess the next question is bang for the buck?? I know where I can get a new 696 from someone for $1300. I haven't priced either one of these units new, but is that a good deal on a 696? or should I cough up the extra money for a 796? Thanks again for your input.
Mark

Never used a 696 but I do have a 796 and it is awesome. Total redesign with brand new hardware top to bottom.

It is a great device!

Thanks again guys for all of your input. So, does anyone have a 796 that they want to sell? There was one here on the forum that came up for sale the other day, but I missed out on it. :(