Ron B.

Well Known Member
We would like to purchase a GDU 375 for our RV-10 that is being painted. The only reason we are looking at a GDU 375 is that it is panel mounted. The 696 has the features we want but we find the panel mount model looks nicer. Does anyone know if the GDU 375 has all the functions that the 696 has. We are aware the GDU 375 is expandable or will be in the future and have EMS and EFIS capabilities. We are not interested in this as we are ordering dual Skyviews tomorrow.
We have a Zaon PCAS XRX that we want to have connected to our GPS , will the GDU 375 also connect? Do both units have flight charts that will disable in six months if not updated? We are using 396's now and don't upgrade our units and they still function well as they are. Will the 696 and GDU 375 work the same?
Thanks ron

just panel mount the 696...

the 696 is really easy to panel mount... you just need to make the cutout and use the built in attachment points on the back of the unit for the ram mount to tie into the panel. my setup is much more involved than is necessary to simply mount the 696 but the idea should be clear. i used z-channel to stand off the 696 and nested the legs into angle faced to the panel where i have anchored the radio stack and braced the sub-panel.

121309panel.jpg

696mount.jpg

Like Stephen said, the 696 is very easy to panel mount. I used Stein's method; just screw a piece of aluminum with four stand-off's to the back of the GPS and use the stand-off's to mount the GPS to the panel. Four screws and it can be easily removed from the panel through the cutout.
696panel.jpg

The 696 mounts fine in the panel with a home made mount and standoffs ala Stein.

The biggest problem however is access to the data card slot. Garmin will very soon roll out geo-referenced approach plates. If you wish to use this feature and keep the database current, you'll constantly be removing the unit from the panel for updates. A PITA for sure....

The 696 mounts fine in the panel with a home made mount and standoffs ala Stein.

The biggest problem however is access to the data card slot. Garmin will very soon roll out geo-referenced approach plates. If you wish to use this feature and keep the database current, you'll constantly be removing the unit from the panel for updates. A PITA for sure....

I originally mounted my 696 using Stein's method because I didn't want to spend the $200 for an Air Gizmo mount. Every time I connect it to my laptop to download the flight log data it has to be unscrewed from the panel. If I were buying it today I would spend the extra and get a GDU 375. Since I already have the 696 I am going to replace my panel mount with the Air Gizmo one.

I have a 696 and am starting a panel redo. I think if I stick the 696 in the left side of the panel using my home made mount, I'll be able to reach up behind the unit and work an SD card into the slot. Will probably take double-sided tape on my finger to hold the card during the maneuvering process, but I think it will work. If it won't, and I decide to keep the 696 in the panel, I'll explore a 375. But that sucker is $4k, not including antennas! :mad:

One good thing about the 696 that the 375 does not have is the battery which will keep you navigating if your electrical system goes TU. If you want a backup battery for the 375 it's even more moolah.

Last edited:
Close but not the same . . .

I've got a GDU-375. A buddy has a 696 and we got the two of them together to see what the differences were. We didn't do an exhaustive comparison but we did look enough to see that they weren't identical. Examples - the 696 will let you put two lines of data across the top whereas the 375 will only let you put one. The 375 weight and balance stuff shows you a graph whereas the 696 won't. It seemed to us that all of the major, really important stuff was just the same. If there's a specific feature you want to check on the 375, let me know and I'll take a look.

You guys are forgetting the real little/simple trick that makes mounting them with standoffs even easier. Slot two of the screw holes on one side all the way to the "big square hole" and instead of removing all 4 screws, you only remove two of them, loosen the other two and slide it out, shouldn't take long at all.

I wish I could take credit for it, but again it's a little bit of ingenuity that Younkin came up with...

Cheers,
Stein

Email me... We have the right people, with the best of talent to build your panel... Garmin or whatever without feeling violated by exorbitant labor cost. Even silkscreen is available without having to bend over. :D

Aside from the 696 being way cheaper, one other advantage is you can pull it in and out of the panel to practice with it easily. (I have an Airgizmo mount which works great.) This alone is worth a million dollars to me. These things are fairly complicated now and they require x amount of time to learn them fully -- and stay current with them!

Thumbs up for for 695 with AirGizmo

Ron,
Can't comment on the comparison with the GDU 375 but I too am happy with the AirGizmo mount for my 695.
I agree with dtaylor that it is very helpful to be able to easily remove the GPS and with the AirGizmo no tools are required.

As you can see below, the AirGizmo does not need much more space than the GPS, plus it matches the standard radio stack width.

2jcfpxw.jpg

We went ahead and purchased a 696, mounted it Steins method. Still waiting for the 7" Skyview. We do have the 10" Skyview.
Thanks for the help
Ron

696 Panel Mount (non-air-gizmo) questions??

Thinking of doing my own panel mount of a 696, that can be tilted towards the pilot side, and have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone looked at extending the SD card slot (too bad they didn't put it in the front)? I understand the SD card bus is critical & possibly not extendable, but wondered if anyone had any luck. Idea would be flex cable extension toward the front, new card slot, panel mounted.

2. Has anyone used a small USB hub to allow both the Wx antenna AND a panel mount USB connector?

Thanks,