696 is awesome

Chuck, we have the 696 in our plane and it is a great tool. It has so much information in it with great resolution on maps and very easy to use flight planning and great reliable GPS accuracy. We also have XM weather and traffic on ours, can not recommend it more.

The 796 is the newer version with the touchscreen interface, I think it will do pretty much everything the 696 will plus more. If I am not mistaken the 796 is less expensive at Sportys so that would be the way to go if true.

I use the ipad with foreflight for mostly flight planning and charts. it is also becoming a stronger and stronger in plane tool with the new geo referenced plates and obstacle tools.

i would say you need both!

Prefer my 795 vs the 696

I had a 696 and upgraded to a 795 when I installed a GDL 39R for ADSB-In.
Since I installed the GDL 39, I did not need the XM any more, so I was able to go with the 795 and save a few dollars.

I loved my 696 but the 795 is even better. I love the new mount, it's much simpler to remove the unit when I bring it home for database updates. BTW, the updates are faster and easier then on the 696.

In general, I feel that there is more information that easier to access with the 795.

I did as Rick did. I picked up a used 696. Eventually sold it and picked up a 795 and added a GDL39. I found the 795 both faster (processed) and the touch was much faster to get info. I really grew to love the touch interface. Pan, zoom, touch airport, get frequencies, check weather, "return" to current position - all in abouth 60 seconds or less. I could never do that much that fast with the 696 knob interface.

ipad

Just get an ipad or droid. And get an extra antenna for weather, traffic, and AHRS.

I have the 696 feeding my TT autopilot. love it.
also use an ipad for flight planning, gps backup etc.. i have a galaxy s5 I also use for backup and have a ram mount I could use if needed.
i have no issues reading the ipad or s5 in cockpit at any time.

i have no issues reading the ipad or s5 in cockpit at any time.
Which iPad do you have and is the s5 about the same visibility wise?

I have an iPad Mini and it's pretty useless in the bubble canopy even turned up full bright. I can read it if I get it really close and try to shade it a bit but then I spend so much time with my head in the cockpit trying to read it that I get a bit nervous about what I'm not seeing outside.

I just bought Walt's 696 and so far really like it. Still trying to decide if I'm going to add weather with ADS-B to the 696 or ADS-B to a better-than-my-iPad tablet.

ipad 3. its not as bright as the 696 for sure but its readable and I have no issues looking up stuff etc..i have an anti-reflective screen protector that removes reflections.
im using garmin pilot on both devices and pretty much use the s5 all the time. more so than the ipad really. battery is better and i can plug it into the accessory for long hauls. which i rarely do actually. (as I do with the ipad if needed).
the s5 is just easier to use. put in pocket and hop out of plane into fbo, food place etc, check stuff like weather and junk then bam.. back into plane.

just to add.. the 696 is my primary nav device. slaved to the true track it gives me easy navigation. i update databases once a year before OSH and then use pilot to verify obstacles and frequencies.

Which iPad do you have and is the s5 about the same visibility wise?

I have an iPad Mini and it's pretty useless in the bubble canopy even turned up full bright. I can read it if I get it really close and try to shade it a bit but then I spend so much time with my head in the cockpit trying to read it that I get a bit nervous about what I'm not seeing outside.

I just bought Walt's 696 and so far really like it. Still trying to decide if I'm going to add weather with ADS-B to the 696 or ADS-B to a better-than-my-iPad tablet.

Last edited:
500$?

was just checking garmin website for chart pricing- if i read correctly its 500$ for the yearly subscription for everything- geo ref charts etc. Am i wrong?

Sorry but that is still way to much to swallow compared to 150$ a year for garmin pilot. and yes the screen has its issues but they aren't that bad--- get a koger and that helps!

i'll save my money for a 430 instead.

Iphone

I use the IPhone velcro'd to my panel.
Not much room on an RV-3 panel. Use the IPAD mini
As a back up. Running Garmin Pilot with a blue tooth
GDL-39 for weather and traffic. Play music, make calls with the blue tooth headset. Simple, cheap and works great!

I use the IPhone velcro'd to my panel.
Not much room on an RV-3 panel. Use the IPAD mini
As a back up. Running Garmin Pilot with a blue tooth
GDL-39 for weather and traffic. Play music, make calls with the blue tooth headset. Simple, cheap and works great!

I can see it now - PROBABLE CAUSE: Pilot was texting during approach/landing phase which resulted in (fill in the rest) :eek:

was just checking garmin website for chart pricing- if i read correctly its 500$ for the yearly subscription for everything- geo ref charts etc. Am i wrong?

Sorry but that is still way to much to swallow compared to 150$ a year for garmin pilot. and yes the screen has its issues but they aren't that bad--- get a koger and that helps!

i'll save my money for a 430 instead.

This is apples and oranges, I think. If your flying IFR you probably need $500 updates because Garmin Pilot on a tablet wouldn't be appropriate. However, if VFR, there's no reason to pay $500 to update a 696 or 796. Just do a nav database update once a year for $50 or $75 and you should be just fine.

Last edited:
I've also had both the 696 and currently have the 796. I also have an iPad mini in the cockpit but with an RV the canopy lets in too much Sun glare and is extremely hard to see. You will be much happier with the speed of the 795/796 vs the 696. When you're in flight and really need to use it quickly the lag on the 696 can get frustrating but the 796 is noticeably faster. I don't know anyone that has one that has not been happy with it and for the money it gives you the best bang for your buck.

I use both the iPad and 696 for my aircraft. The Garmin--either version--is FAR superior to an iPad for normal operations. (I can only vouch for the 796's capabilities by what I read, FWIW) The short answer is that the 696 WITH an iPad works well, but for different functions.

The 696 CAN connect to the GDL-39 (also a highly recommended buy, see below) via a hard wire cable, which doubles as the power supply. You will almost certainly want to provide a power source for the 696 unit, so the only downside is a little wiring to be done.

The 796 uses touch screen technology, but other than that it does not offer a tremendous "step up" in overall capabilities over the 696 (from what I read...see the post above for another view!) It does have bluetooth connectivity with the GDL-39.

Both the 696/796 offer a far brighter display than the iPad, and glare is not an issue with the former. The database offerings are about on par cost wise with other subscription services.

The 696 functions are absolutely great, with one exception--the approach plate display is far too small for my tired eyes, and I would suggest that you purchase an iPad and application (Foreflight is my fav) for any IFR charting needs. It's much more flexible in terms of finding and "expanding" the image of a complicated approach plate.

IF you wish to add the GDL-39, you have two choices as mentioned to hook up the GDL--through the 696/796 or via the iPad. With the iPad, the GDL-39 is ONLY compatible with the Garmin Pilot application....Foreflight or any other aviation iPad app will not work with it. If you like Foreflight for the iPad your best bet is to hook the GDL-39 to the Garmin GPS.

The GDL-39 is AWESOME. My aircraft partner called me from the hangar the first time he flew the aircraft with it installed. He was returning to the pattern of our non-controlled airport and saw a popup ADS-B target right in front of him... turned out to be a helicopter 200' below him and only a couple hundred yards ahead. It gave him sufficient situational awareness to possibly prevent a mid-air. That unit downloads weather info along your route of flight--it's helped me out many times over.

Best of all the 696 can be found far more cheaply than the 796, especially used.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have a 796 mounted to my panel and also an Ipad mini velcrowed to the panel for backup. Since I got the 796, I hardly use the Ipad. It is still there but the 796 is soooo much brighter.

The 796 is by far the best gps i have ever owned. The only thing that would be better for me now would be a G3X.