Ron B.

Well Known Member
We have been having trouble lately getting our 696 to completely shut down. In bright sunlight we don't notice the screen still on faintly and a message saying something like data lost. Pushing the on off button does nothing. I have to remove the internal battery and all goes dead. It can then be turned on and off at will.
We are wandering if it might display this problem when the unit is on while cranking. We do have a avionics master and the co-pilot Skyview comes on with the master (not avionics master) but we are experiencing some difficulties with the co-pilot 7" Skyview booting up. Some of us (partnership) turn on the avionics master to get engine monitoring on the 10" Skyview for start ups, and this also turns on the 696.
Anyone experience a screen with this faint display?
Thanks Ron

Ron, I know what you're talking about. I've had this happen to me a few times but it hasn't happened lately.

I know I've had to remove the battery a couple of times when loading new software or updating a database.

We are not downloading anything recently. Maybe it's telling us we need to update? I'll have to check that out.
Thanks

Mine has done that several times in the 2.5 years I've owned it. I believe it did it during startup though. Had to pull battery in all cases. Seems like it says "Software Missing" or some such message, hard to be sure because it is so dim.

I've done two updates of system software, and it has exhibited this problem in all three versions.

Related: Matt, you reading? The dim screen on startup is a real problem in bubble canopy RV's. It is hard to get acknowledgement that it is powering up.

Mine has done it once....very very dim "software missing" message. Pulled the battery to reboot. I don't know why it happened.

I have had this happen a few times since I've had the 696, but I do run a fair amount of "Beta" software, and best I can tell, it has always happened with that - so I have reported it along with other findings. Battery removal/replace has always fixed it.

Paul

I have had this happen a few times since I've had the 696, but I do run a fair amount of "Beta" software, and best I can tell, it has always happened with that - so I have reported it along with other findings. Battery removal/replace has always fixed it.

Paul

Beta for the 696...what type of new stuff???

re: 295

My old 295 (still using) will lock up occasionally. I just remove all power and all is fine.

Marshall Alexander

Regarding removing and reinstalling the battery to reset, you can also hold the #1 softkey, #5 softkey, and range "up" key at the same time to do a soft reset. This is especially helpful when the 696 is installed in the panel.

-Rob