bjeriksen

I'm at my wits' end!

I'm finishing up installation on a new panel in my 6 and the suns out and I want to go flying (and listen to music)!

Problems...the most recent is with my 696 and loud distortion when the round 4-pin power/data plug is attached.

I researched older threads on this problem but everyone refers to their noise as a faint humm...mine is loud static with oscillations, humms, pitch changes, you name it, I hear it! Intercom noise is minimal otherwise and good clarity on radio tx/rx.

The issue only exists when the 4-pin plug is attached, otherwise 696 sound is decent when running on battery.

Setup:

I have a FlightCom 403 (no dedicated audio ground just power ground and A and B aux input wires) with the aux input split to both a panel mount aux input jack and another jack behind the panel that contains a y split cable. One jack on the splitter goes to a DVD player and the other goes to the 696. My A and B aux cables that run from my FlightCom are not shielded. I am using a right angle adapter so I can fit the 3.5mm stereo cable to the 696. On occasion, if I pull the plug out of the 696 about 2mm or so the noise lessens significantly with stereo sound intact.

I assuming some seriously flawed ground issue. All my grounds terminate on the firewall on a ground terminal strip.

Is noise coming from data in/out or power/ground?

Are the unshielded intercom aux audio wires running to close to something?

I've pulled the fuse on the 696 with the cable attached and the distortion continues. Arghhh!

Also...might not be related but since I've installed the new FlightCom, I'm getting a low popping sound when squelch is broken when I adjust volume on my Apollo/Garmin sl60 com radio. Used to use the lousy built in SL60 intercom with no popping. This I can tolerate though.

BTW, overall music sound quality with the 403 is less than stellar, could be another installation issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bjorn
N16TX

We had that problem on a Navajo, the problem is a ground loop. Crutchfelds sells a ground loop filter for the audio line that has a 1/8 plug on one end and female on the other for about $20. Solved the problem.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Hi Bjorn,

Doug is probably 100% correct in the fact that you've likely got a ground issue with it...with your symptoms that's where I'd start first. Grounds can be pesky devils, especially when trying to troubleshoot a finished installation. I'll be if you either install a filter or do some sleuthing you'll find your ground problem.

Cheers,
Stein

Are you using the battery or some power supply. A power supply such as a battery charger can add a hum to the audio.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I have the Crutchfield filter

We had that problem on a Navajo, the problem is a ground loop. Crutchfelds sells a ground loop filter for the audio line that has a 1/8 plug on one end and female on the other for about $20. Solved the problem.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

I have one of these Crutchfield filters.
If you want it, I will mail it to you for $10 total.