n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody come up with a different idea about mounting a 696 in a panel other than using one of the Gizmo Docks?

thanks,

Steve

696 mount

Yes-cut a hole in the panel so the 696 fits with 1/32 " clearance. Fabricate a bracket out of aluminum and attach it to the 696 using the small screw holes on the back of the 696. Mount the 696 so that the top right corner switch location is on the outside of the panel. Works great on our RV-10.

Yes-cut a hole in the panel so the 696 fits with 1/32 " clearance. Fabricate a bracket out of aluminum and attach it to the 696 using the small screw holes on the back of the 696. Mount the 696 so that the top right corner switch location is on the outside of the panel. Works great on our RV-10.

Same here...

IMG_2319.jpg

Steve,

Since your signature indicates you are talking about an -8, you could also just use a RAM mount on the 804 bulkhead cap and let the 696 hover over to the right of your right thigh. It doesn't take any panel space. One of the nice things about the -8 is that it has more cabin width per person than the two-place side-by-sides, so you can more comfortably mount it down low if you choose.

Just one alternative to consider.

Paul

696 Mount

If you want the 696 off the panel try an Angerole mount. They dont hold the 696 out from the panel as far as a ram mount so it doesn't bounce around in the bumps. if you are putting the 696 in the panel to stay for good, get a GDU375. that is part of the G3X system. As a stand alone unit it acts the same as the 696. but it is meant for panel mounting. Also with the GDU375 the updates are through an SD card reader in the front of the unit, no diving under the panel or taking things out to do the update.

Ben

Last edited:
What is the disadvantage of the 696 Gizmo mount? Would seem the easiest
way to remove the 696 for data base and software updates. I'm considering
replacing my gizmo panel mounted 496 with the 696.

Thanks for the input. I already own the 696 so I will be sticking with it and want to put it "in" the panel. I was just trying to minimize the amount of room needed in my panel since it is already pretty full. I thought about a ram type mount but have decided on the panel installation. Paul you are correct I have an RV8

thanks,

Steve

What is the disadvantage of the 696 Gizmo mount? Would seem the easiest
way to remove the 696 for data base and software updates. I'm considering
replacing my gizmo panel mounted 496 with the 696.

Tom,
I have built an AirGizmo mount into my RV-7 panel for my 695 and I am very happy with how it has turned out.

See photo here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=475437&postcount=564

Here are my thoughts:-

Pro's:
Needs minimal extra space around the 695/696 GPS (much less than I was anticipating before I ordered it).
Straight forward to install in panel.
Allows removal of GPS without needing a screwdriver (I like to be able to take the GPS home to transfer tracks, etc to my PC)
Weighs very little yet is still pretty tough.
Good colour match to the GPS.

Con's:
Not flush with panel (but does align with my Garmin 240 audio panel)
Visible gap through release mechanism on right (but hoping this won't show much).
More expense relative to a home-made 4-screw mounting solution.
Not much of a saving in build time - a home-made mount solution is straightforward to make.

I Like The AirGizmo 696 Mount!

Pro's:
Needs minimal extra space around the 695/696 GPS (much less than I was anticipating before I ordered it).
Straight forward to install in panel.
Allows removal of GPS without needing a screwdriver (I like to be able to take the GPS home to transfer tracks, etc to my PC)
Weighs very little yet is still pretty tough.
Good colour match to the GPS.

Con's:
Not flush with panel (but does align with my Garmin 240 audio panel)
Visible gap through release mechanism on right (but hoping this won't show much).
More expense relative to a home-made 4-screw mounting solution.
Not much of a saving in build time - a home-made mount solution is straightforward to make.

I agree with Steve that the AirGizmo dock is really pretty nice. In a previous panel I fabricated a custom panel mount for the 696. I was using the 696 for primary navigation so I felt it needed to be in the panel and not mounted somewhere else with a RAM mount:

web.jpg

It looked good, and side to side it was narrower than the AirGizmo unit. Top to bottom, my mount required more space than AirGizmo. If I had opted to make it with a side screw mounting arrangement, it would have been wider than the AirGizmo mount. So if panel space is a consideration, as it was in my -8, the AirGizmo solution is a good one. But the major disadvantage of my custom mount was every time I wanted to take the 696 out of the panel (s/w update, etc), I had to unscrew it from the panel which was a real pain.

When I redesigned my panel, I went with the AirGizmo mount:

web.jpg

Removing the 696 is now a piece of cake. For those that are worried about how far it protrudes from the panel, the AirGizmo mount can be modified to reduce the protrusion. I did that to my mount, and it protrudes about 1/4" (as do all of my avionics).

Last edited:
696 mount

For all that has mounted the 696 in panel with the air gizmo mount how good has the gps signal been with it? Did you connect a remote antenna?

For all that has mounted the 696 in panel with the air gizmo mount how good has the gps signal been with it? Did you connect a remote antenna?
Didn't try it without the remote. Installed the remote antenna in front of the roll bar support strut.