Rick_A

Well Known Member
I've got a 696 as my #2 GPS input to my GRT EFIS (Horizon I). When I switch to the 696 as the Nav source, the EFIS shows the Identifier and Distance to the destination (going Direct with no intermediate way points) but the Route Legs don't appear on the map.

I'm wondering if anybody is using a 696 (or maybe 396/496) with a GRT where you do have the route displayed on GRT. If you do, what are the configuration settings that you are using?

When I use my GNS480 as the input, the route is displayed as expected. The main difference I see is that the 696's only output option is NMEA 0183 whereas the 480 is configured as "Aviation Map Com" to the GRT.

I've got a 696 as my #2 GPS input to my GRT EFIS (Horizon I). When I switch to the 696 as the Nav source, the EFIS shows the Identifier and Distance to the destination (going Direct with no intermediate way points) but the Route Legs don't appear on the map.

I'm wondering if anybody is using a 696 (or maybe 396/496) with a GRT where you do have the route displayed on GRT. If you do, what are the configuration settings that you are using?

When I use my GNS480 as the input, the route is displayed as expected. The main difference I see is that the 696's only output option is NMEA 0183 whereas the 480 is configured as "Aviation Map Com" to the GRT.
I have this setup. Well, to be exact, I have the 695 feeding the GRT HX. The only difference between the 695 and the 696 is the lack of WX on the 695.

I have not noticed the route showing up on the GRT. I have the 695 mounted in the panel just next to the GRT directly in front of me so I use the PFD on the GRT and the 695 moving map for my navigation.

Here is a picture of my setup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have never tried to see if the route could show up on the GRT screen. Is there a specific reason why you want to follow the route on the GRT instead of the 696?

Steve, my 696 is off to one side, it is not mounted in my panel. I use it mostly for "other" information - weather, approach plates and for a different view of things - while I use my GRT Map driven with input from my 480 as my primary navigation.

I never tried to use the 696 as my primary GPS until a couple of weeks ago. That's when I noticed that the route legs didn't show up on the GRT Map. Since the 696 is not directly in front of me, it's not nearly as easy to view as the GRT Map that's in the panel.

I haven't played with that combo... but I"m wondering if the setup is correct (as a start).. one thing to check is "flight plan source" --- is it set to Internal or External for GPS2? If it's set to internal, then it'd explain the behavior.

I haven't played with that combo... but I"m wondering if the setup is correct (as a start).. one thing to check is "flight plan source" --- is it set to Internal or External for GPS2? If it's set to internal, then it'd explain the behavior.
I agree with Radomir. If the GRT is not configured to read from an external GPS source on that setting it will not display.

I don't think that the entire flight plan is a part of the "NMEA" data stream. It is on "Aviation" but no Garmin portable outputs "Aviation" data.

If I am remembering correctly, "NMEA" only outputs the active waypoint info.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already verified that Flight Plan is set to external.

I also played with some of the other setting. I set the GRT input format to NMEA 0183 @ 4800 baud.

The 696 doesn't have many output options. Setting the output to "Normal" sends the most amount of data - which is what I'm using. I'm inclined to think that the 696 is not sending the data that the GRT needs. My guess is that the GRT needs the "Aviation Map Com" format as input - which is not an output option on the 696.