Ron B.

Well Known Member
On our Super Cubs we elected to purchase an external GPS antenna for the 396, GPS only. That way we were sure we had a clear view to the sky. For our RV-10, we would like an external antenna that would do both GPS and XM for our 696.
Is there such an antenna that would do both functions and connect to the 696?
Thanks Ron

Some people are saying that the newer GPS's are so good in reception that they do not need an external GPS antenna.

Hi Ron,

There are indeed a number of combo antennas in the marketplace, and in fact Garmin has one that we use frequently, but...here's the kicker: It won't work with the portables (none of the Combo antennas like the Garmin or Comdat, etc..) will work with the portables because part of the technical bits/bytes for the XM of the portables lives in the antenna...and each antenna is in fact individually unique for that reason. If you have a stand alone XM box like the GDL-69A then you can use the external antennas, but not the portables.

There are a number of ways to "hide" antennas in the RV-10. The XM isn't nearly as picky as the certified WAAS boxes are so hiding them under some fiberglass can work if done properly (and not covered with metallic paint).

Anyway, there are lots of possibilities and variables here. Give me a shout sometime and I can go over it for you...to much for my limited typing skills!

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Stein
I was planning on using the supplied antenna, but my build partners recommended external mount. Our fuselage, after some serious pushing from me is white and not a dark metalic color. I'm the only one of four that is doing any research. I read all the post here and on matronics. I search all the net when I have questions like this one, and come up with different solutions. They ask a local whoever and think they are always correct. I had to fight to keep a dark color of the composite fuselage. I told them I have yet to see anyone recomend a dark color for any reason, but most recommend against the dark color for heat and warping reasons.
We are fortunate to have such a talented group on these forums and would be fools not to use this to our advantage to build better aircraft.
Thanks again
Ron

Thanks Stein
I was planning on using the supplied antenna, but my build partners recommended external mount. Our fuselage, after some serious pushing from me is white and not a dark metalic color. I'm the only one of four that is doing any research. I read all the post here and on matronics. I search all the net when I have questions like this one, and come up with different solutions. They ask a local whoever and think they are always correct. I had to fight to keep a dark color of the composite fuselage. I told them I have yet to see anyone recomend a dark color for any reason, but most recommend against the dark color for heat and warping reasons.
We are fortunate to have such a talented group on these forums and would be fools not to use this to our advantage to build better aircraft.
Thanks again

I'm using the supplied 696 antennas for both the GPS & XM radio, sitting on the glareshield. It's been over a year, and around 130 hrs. They haven't lost the signal yet.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I think we will be trying to mount then in the overhead console, getting a signal the the composite.

One more data point for you Ron - I have been flying the 696 in my RV-8 since before it was released - it sits on a RAM mount down by my right thigh. I have used the internal GPS antenna exclusively - never even plugged in the remote. Granted, this is a bubble canopy aircraft, so it has a great view of the sky above, but the unit is pretty low below the canopy rails, so it doesn't see to the horizon. I have never lost GPS coverage, and it acquires FAST!

On the XM - what Stein said! The antenna is actually the entire XM receiver for the Garmin portables.

Paul

I have been flying the 696 in my RV-8 since before it was released - it sits on a RAM mount down by my right thigh. I have used the internal GPS antenna exclusively - never even plugged in the remote. Granted, this is a bubble canopy aircraft, so it has a great view of the sky above, but the unit is pretty low below the canopy rails, so it doesn't see to the horizon. I have never lost GPS coverage, and it acquires FAST!

I got my 696 even before Paul did, and I haven't found a need to use the remote GPS antenna in any of the airplanes I fly either. :)

mcb