Rick_A

Well Known Member
My questions pertain to the geo-referenced approach plate capability of the 696. Is this feature currently available? If it is, what do I need to do to see my position on the chart?

I've got V4.2 of the 696 software installed but my plates expired in June. I was out flying around this afternoon, pulled up chart for a nearby approach and flew to fix that was on the approach. I never saw my position on the chart.

need to update the plates...

From what I have read you need to update the actual plates... the first cycle where the georeferencing was active brought something like 80% of the plates up to the new standard to display position. All of the plates have likely been updated by now but I am holding off until next spring and after confirmation that all of them are georeferenced.

What Stephen said! I have a fairly recent Approach Plate load on my 696, and have yet to pull up a plate that wasn't geo-referenced. Of course, the next time I need to shoot and approach for real, that'll probably be the one....

The original geo-referenced plates for the 696 were the Jepp charts (with their significantly-priced updates), so I am really happy that Garmin took the time and effort to geo-reference the NOS charts, and make them so that they don't expire after 180 days! I think that the underground forces within Garmin are finally getting the corporate guys to understand that the experimental market is different....

Paul

...what do I need to do to see my position on the chart?.
Pay garmin $499 to enable the feature...
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87193&pvID=87587

Unlock the power of ChartView

Allow your device to take advantage of Jeppesen-style instrument approach plates and airport surface charts by unlocking the installed ChartView software. Instead of fumbling with paper, the charts you need can be displayed directly in front of you, enhancing your situational awareness. ChartView is able to overlay your aircraft?s position on an electronic approach chart, giving you a visual crosscheck of your progress inbound. Once you?ve landed, ChartView can display the surface diagram ? a real help at unfamiliar airports.
The ChartView Unlock Key enables access to the ChartView software on your unit. Once you?ve unlocked the software, you?ll need an additional JeppView? subscription (available here) in order to download and display chart data.

Dave -

I could easily be wrong, but I think that the Chartview key is only if you want to use the Jepp charts. I am a bit of an "Anti-Jepp Snob" - I've always found that NOS charts give me all of the information I need, and I'm not paying Jepp to re-format them for me.

I THINK that getting the latest software and NOS charts on to the 696 will give you geo-referencing without the additional cost.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to update my FliteCharts.

I believe Paul is right that the $499 Chartview key is only needed if you want to use Jepp Charts. I saw the Chartview key when I was updating the NavData and was taken aback when I thought I'd have to pay $500 for this one feature - then realized that it was for Jepp.

The Garmin updates are pricey enough, so I'll stick with NOS.

One last question. Does the approach need to be loaded /activated on the 696 to see your position? I hope not.

One last question. Does the approach need to be loaded /activated on the 696 to see your position? I hope not.

Not in my experience Rick. You just bring up the chart, and if you are within it's bounds, the little purple airplane appears.

Dave -
I THINK that getting the latest software and NOS charts on to the 696 will give you geo-referencing without the additional cost.
That would sure be nice....
We'll have to give that a try.
Still can't believe that we have to pay Garmin to get the aopa data updated when it's free on the net and iphone....
I saw the Chartview key when I was updating the NavData and was taken aback when I thought I'd have to pay $500 for this one feature...

Me too, they don't make that very clear....

Last edited: