Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I ordered my Garmin 695 after talking to Garmin tech services. I am very disappointed the the aircraft position is not displayed on the Approach Plates. This is such an obvious safety of flight item that I know it had to have been considered. Either it is a technical problem that the developers have not been able to overcome or som legal or risk issue. If I didn't need it now I would wait until they overcome this issue.

The EFB status can only be maintained if you maintain the Garmin database ($395/year) AND the Jeppesen database ($295/Year). I plan on doing what ever I have to to maintain current approach charts and not anything else. It's an octopus and it has me by the ankle.

Bob Axsom

You're absolutely right Bob - you don't see the aircraft position on the "white" plates. I wish you could too! But....once you bring the correct chart up on the appropriate page, you are one knob click away from the moving map which does show your position - a compromise, of course, but for me, I have the 430 that shows all of my horizontal guidance, and I simply keep the approach plate up on the 696 to reference my vertical guidance.

I suspect that the reason they aren't displaying th position of the aircraft on the plates is because the scale on each plate is/may be different, and they don't have a good way of compensating for that without measuring the difference for each chart - which they would have to do with every issuance. I'd bet that Garmin does nothing to the charts, just displays them, and to do more would add a lot of effort.

All guessing, of course.

Paul

There is no 'scale' on Instrument approach plates, they don't even run true to scale on the same chart. I wish Garmin had used Jepp charts, I'd be a lot more tempted if they had.