W

william weesner

the plans dont mention shaping this part ..

Last edited:
Without pictures, kind of hard to visualize, but did you do the last required step on the longeron bending by adding the twist to the forward end? Also, I don't have my instructions in front of me, but I distinctly recall somewhere the printed instructions indicate that more can be trimmed off the front end where it meets the firewall gusset. (This is what my -9 plans indicate--should be the same for the -7--but check).

Last edited:
I dont' know how much this helps, but I didn't trim mine at all.. and it fits just right...

I just got finished drilling these this moring. I too had some fit issues. The angle was off a bit, not nearly as much as the picture above shows. I trimmed off about 1/16" of the outside corner to get an acceptable fit. I also had to put some bends at various points to get it to sit well on the firewall angle. In the end it turned out pretty well, with all edge distances being acceptable, but it took a bit of extra work to get it there.

James

william weesner said:
the plans dont mention shaping this part and it is exact in dimension to the plans however it doesnt even come close to fitting looks like i need to trim about 1/2 inch off of ot to make ot fit. this is the gusset that joins the longeron at its forward end to the eng monut and firewall angle......soooooo before i start ruining anoooother part what is the consensus on this peice..

The part you have has been incorrectly fabricated by Vans. The funny thing is that some people seem to get an OK 695 bracket and some don't. What is even more ridiculous is that Vans have been sending out incorrectly fabricated 695 brackets for many years. I got one 2 years ago and so did my builder mate 3 months before. But the archives show they were sending out faulty 695 brackets when they were still making the RV6 (it's an RV6 component).

The reason the plate doesn't fit is because the angle at the corner (longeron to firewall) is acute rather than being obtuse.

The answer is to trim it to the correct obtuse angle for a proper fit. This will reduce the side along the longeron requiring a reduction in the proposed spacing between the rivets (don't reduce the number of rivets).

I had the exact same problem. One of my gussets was cut incorrectly (which was easy to determine by comparing to the other gusset). I called up Vans and they sent out a new one.

Dave

Mine too

I was just trying to fit my 695 and they were the wrong angle like Williams. I double checked the plans and yup wrong angle. Then I thought. Oh maybe I'll have to trim them to fit. you know make a 8 or 6 part into a 7 part. However, when I measured the long side they were the exact 7 9/32" long in the plans. HMMMM Then I remembered reading something about this problem. YUP! Mine were made wrong too! Maybe even from the same batch? Anyways I'm getting ready to call Van's....