rick57

I'm New Here
Sponsor
Please advise on original size rudder versus later larger rudder? To me larger one looks better but does it matter? Looking at a 6 now that has original rudder. Or is that even a consideration other than appearance. Thanks in advance, Rick

I have a 6A with the original small VS/Rudder. No issues. Tailwheel might give the bigger setup the choice advantage but I have not heard a tailwheel comparison story from someone that up-sized...

The larger rudder doesn't look right on the -6, IMO. It's out-of-scale with the rest of the airplane. The stock vertical stab and rudder (can't change just one) work fine on the TW -6.

Note that the larger VS/Rudder combo is heavier, which exacerbates the aft CG issue many -6's have.

The larger rudder doesn't look right on the -6, IMO. It's out-of-scale with the rest of the airplane. The stock vertical stab and rudder (can't change just one) work fine on the TW -6.

Note that the larger VS/Rudder combo is heavier, which exacerbates the aft CG issue many -6's have.
Exactly what I needed to know and many thanks! Rick

I believe the larger rudder was implemented to improve spin recovery. If that's a consideration for your mission.

22 years now and going on the original RV-6 rudder. Loving it. They work pretty dang good.
v/r,dr

I believe the larger rudder was implemented to improve spin recovery. If that's a consideration for your mission.
The larger vertical stab/rudder was originally for the 7/7A, to improve its spin recovery. It later replaced 6/6A v stab/rudder for parts commonality reasons. Then, there were some “bigger must be better” builders who adopted it.

I’m with the others here……the original (short) one looks better on the 6/6A. Also Van’s felt it had acceptable spin recovery performance.

The larger vertical stab/rudder was originally for the 7/7A, to improve its spin recovery. It later replaced 6/6A v stab/rudder for parts commonality reasons. Then, there were some “bigger must be better” builders who adopted it.

Not sure how this is even possible, given that the 7 came after the 6 by quite a bit. In actuality, it's the fin/rudder off of the RV-8 is what I was told way back then.

The 7 got the 9's rudder to assist with spin recovery.

Back on topic, I don't know that there is much difference. People like the fin/rudder they have.