Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 100 peices @.16 each

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GAHco

Well Known Member
How much would you be willing to pay for
High Alloy Pan Head, Six Lobe Drive, 8-32 x 1/2 inch long. Cad II plated.

I have had several individuals indicate their interest.
I would like to know how many else may have an interest?

If you are interested, please participate in the poll.

I appreciate your interest. I am considering having a large run of these and possibly other sizes if things go well.
The poll is only up for 14 days. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I had to look up what 6 lobe screws are. I have not heard them called that before. To me it looks like they just another name for Torx fasteners.

I have a lot of Phillips and Allen head screws through out everything that I own. I do not like the idea of needing to stock another fastener and tool to use with it. Unfortunately my 50-MPG VW Diesel uses a lot of them and I have the tools to remove / install them. I have no desire to start using them on my 15-year old RV airplane and having another tool to carry in the airplane and another type of fastener to keep in stock.

If I did not have all the other fasteners and tools and was just starting a shop, I may pick this fastener as a standard stock item.

At this time, 6 lobe screws or Torx fasteners are not for me.

Torx / six-lobe aircraft screws

If I had the option I would use only Torx head screws in my airplane. I replaced the phillips heads holding the cowl on my Decathlon long ago with SS 100 degree Torx and they are MUCH easier that the original phillips heads.
I have spent a small amount of time searching the web for 100 degree flat head and button head in Torx in the 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 sizes and 3/8, 1/2, and 5/8 lengths, most preferably CAD II (gold) finish in a high strength alloy (over 160Ksi). I think there is one source with limited supply and availability. If GAHco went that way I'd stock them for my own use (and hangar neighbors).

My Audi is full of torx-head screws. At first I didn't like them, but after taking the whole front end off the car and putting it back on to do an A/C compressor and timing belt job on it, I came to realize that the torx head seem to be a fair amount more stripout-resistant than allen head screws, and a whole lot more stripout-resistant than phillips head screws. I've begun to like them now. Most of the #8 screws in the floor panels of my RV-6 have almost-stripped phillips heads, and next time I pull the panels, I really need to replace them with new ones, so I'm willing to try torx head versions.

Are these same spec screws available in hex drive. I have a lot of areas where I cannot get over center on the screw to install/remove and a ball hex drive seems to work.

Thanks

I went to all high-strength structural (NAS 517, AN525(?) or similar) and started using nice phillips bits (Bosch, from Lowes) and am no longer having as much trouble. That said, I'd be in for some for the more problematic spots (inside the cowel openings, the under side of wheel pants, etc) where it's still easy to bugger the phillips up.

I would take Torx (or whatever you call them, I guess Torx is a tradename) over Phillips any day. It takes a few more tools, but they almost never strip out. Less effort than pushing hard to keep a Phillips seated. I will say that Torx bits don't seem to last as long as a good Phillips screwdriver.

Gaining on it!

To be able to break even with the first run I need to sell 200+ packages of 100 peices.

Posting any comment along with participating on the poll would be benificial that also keeps us more visible in the forum.

Thanks for your votes and comments.

I had to look up what 6 lobe screws are. I have not heard them called that before. To me it looks like they just another name for Torx fasteners.

Tom, can you confirm that the screws you are talking about are what most of us refer to as "Torx".

I would be interested in changing out all the Phillips head screws in my plane, that require frequent removal, both flat and round head, #6 and #8.

Also, if these are not actually "Torx", will you be offering a driver to fit the screw heads??

I would much prefer TORX drive heads over philips and would take a hundred each of the 100 deg. CS head and dome head in #8.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "torx" is a brand name and copyrighted, so the generic term for them is commonly "6 lobe screws"

6 Lobes

I have used torx head for prelim assembly on lots of stuff. I have gone to "aircraft grade" phillips for the final assembly. I would MUCH rather use the 6 lobe. I would probably take a couple hundred in #6,#8 100 degree flat and button or simiar head.

Thanks!

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing

Functional equivilants to them..

Tom, can you confirm that the screws you are talking about are what most of us refer to as "Torx".

I would be interested in changing out all the Phillips head screws in my plane, that require frequent removal, both flat and round head, #6 and #8.

Also, if these are not actually "Torx", will you be offering a driver to fit the screw heads??

Functional equivilants to them, and I will be having the bits available also.
Torx is a registered trademark, I can not market these as being made by them. I have a manufacturer in the US that will be supplying these fasteners once we hit our target qty, or more!

No correction necessary!

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "torx" is a brand name and copyrighted, so the generic term for them is commonly "6 lobe screws"

You did Good! Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
For Now...

Put me down for #6 and #8, flat and button head

If I get enough of the pan head 8-32, I may offer others styles and sizes.

I still need a bit more interest to launch this line of products successfully.

Functional equivilants to them, and I will be having the bits available also.
Torx is a registered trademark, I can not market these as being made by them. I have a manufacturer in the US that will be supplying these fasteners once we hit our target qty, or more!

aka... hexalobular internal driving feature ... :p

I'd use them in place of any Philips screw I could....since I'm just starting, that might be easier. :)

If I get enough of the pan head 8-32, I may offer others styles and sizes.

I still need a bit more interest to launch this line of products successfully.

Any news on this subject?
Is Microfasteners still the best source?
Have the smaller (8 and 6) screws gotten any better or do they still strip out easily?
I sure like my 10-32 and have never replaced a one in over 5 years.

Torx

I wish my CJ7 had no Torx in it. I would not want to have any torx screws in my RV8

Last edited:
Torx

Previous stated buy another poster,,, carrying another tool is a draw back.
I do not like torx on my CJ7. I have had trouble removing them, and the tool has failed several times too. When I remove a torx I replace it with a philips , or an allen, or a bolt.
My experience on my old Jeep has put me off torx. so I would not want any of those in my RV.
Just sayn

Previous stated buy another poster,,, carrying another tool is a draw back.
I do not like torx on my CJ7. I have had trouble removing them, and the tool has failed several times too. When I remove a torx I replace it with a philips , or an allen, or a bolt.
My experience on my old Jeep has put me off torx. so I would not want any of those in my RV.
Just sayn

Have had exactly the opposite experience. The screwdriver (1) I carry on board has several tips and one fits the torx. I tried torx screws on a couple panels that come off regularly several years ago and have never had to replace one... sure wish the OP would follow up on this.

Hmmm... Different experiences for different people, I guess. I personally like Torx, but my personal experience is only from a casual user standpoint. I can see the benefit of not having to carry another tool, but seems minor if I don't have to keep replacing stripped heads. I asked a friend who is a professional mechanic and his experience is more in line with mine. He likes them MUCH more than Philips head. Additionally, I noticed the cabinet maker that was working on my kitchen was using Torx wood screws. He stated much more positive grip and bits last much longer. He told me they are becoming an industry standard. If they become available I will certainly replace my Philips head screws with them.

I've had very good luck with the stainless torx screws from microfasteners.com. Cad plated steel screws would be even better, but at a price point that is close to what microfasteners offers.

I've had very good luck with the stainless torx screws from microfasteners.com. Cad plated steel screws would be even better, but at a price point that is close to what microfasteners offers.

This is where I got my 10-32 screws that have worked so well but I had heard the smaller ones were not as well made and stripped easy. Any update on the smaller sizes?