TerryPancake

Well Known Member
Which safety wire pliers do you use more, the 6 inch or the 9 inch? Any advantage to one size or the other? Should I own both?
Thanks...

My 6" safety wire pliers broke a week ago when I was safetying my prop bolts.

At SnF, I was gonna buy a new pair at the Avery booth, and told them of the failed pliers. They asked what I was safetying when the pliers failed, and I explained that I was safetying the prop with 0.041 wire. Aaah, they said (or something to that effect)... They recommended only using the 6" pliers on 0.030 wire or smaller if you're using the automatic twist feature. On larger wire, use the large pliers or manually twist the wire if you're gonna use the 6" pliers.

I bought both 6" and 9" pliers...

I prefer the 6

I bought my pair of 6 inchers while working as a line mechanic for Delta Air Lines. Never had a problem safetywiring anything on the airframe or engines with it. The small size is a big plus in alot of situations. The drawback being it takes more effort and wrist twisting to get the large wire going. If you can afford 2 why not, but how much safety wiring do you plan on doing?

I used the 9" the most on the CH-53E, but that was a big beast. Still a lot of tight places where the 6" came in handy, though.

I found myself using the 6" more when I was working on the little stuff (Cherokee, Aztec, Tomahawk, Skymaster) at A&P school.

Follow-up question: Do you use the reversing-type pliers, or just left-twist by hand?

TerryPancake said:
Which safety wire pliers do you use more, the 6 inch or the 9 inch? Any advantage to one size or the other? Should I own both?
Thanks...
I use both actually. Generally, I prefer the 9" because the additional weight and geometry of the tool tends to work the safety wire a bit easier, especially when applied to .041 wire commonly used to secure the prop bolts. On the other hand, many tight situations arise, such as occasionally safety wiring the (accessory case mounted) oil filter into place. This particular task is far easier to accomplish on my airplane using the 6" variety. Like so many areas of the aircraft experience and life in general for that matter, a "one size fits all" approach is a noble simplification that in reality is little more than an economic compromise.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Wade, I don't know how much I plan on doing. Just the stuff that is "supposed" to be? I am not that far yet. I am putting in an order for a few tool things and thought I would them now. Maybe a SnF discount.
Ken, that is also a good question. I plan on getting the reversible kind. I think if I use it once it would be worth it for me. But what do I know?