swixtt

Well Known Member
hey guys,
well i thought i'd ask on here to see what other say on this. i have done all the #8 CS hole in the Main Spar for the nut plates, tested with a piece of similar thickness, and am happy with the results. now on the #6 it seems like my test CS hole is going to be very close to the edge for the insp. cover nutplates. in testing a CS hole with a dimple piece it still rides high and i'm sure it's going to be too much and make it too close to the hole. i guess my question is for the completed wing builders how did the covers work out and did you need to take more out of the CS hole to make them fit nice?
just want to make sure these are done right the first time. not like these spars can be changed out easily.
thanks

Mine came out just fine - but I snuck up on the depth of the countersinking a little bit at a time to make sure I didn't overdo it. The instructions don't have you building the cover plates until much later in the process - but there's absolutely no reason you can't do it now and use them for a test fit as you go.

Thanks Greg... did your's sit flat on the spar then?

i'll probably do the cover plates too and get them dimpled for the #6 holes and leave the #8's for now.

Yup, mine sit quite nicely now, didn't have to do anything special at all except sneak up slowly on the C/S depth on the first one to make sure I had the cage set correctly.

well.... i got them countersunk now. they seem OK but it may be more the dimple that doesn't fit too well. i can't too much closer to the edge. of course the screw fits fine but when the cover is in place, it's another story.

when i dimpled the access plates, they took on a bit of a wave afterwards. i tried both with the c-frame and the squeezer....same result.

Same here. the C/S is very close to the edge. Also same for the wave in the cover plates.

I guess we'll have to wait for the bottom skin to be riveted on to see what's the final result... and in our case (Pre-Cove inspection in Canada), that'll be in a while ;)

since a picture is worth a 1000 words...

DSC03768.JPG

DSC03769.JPG

DSC03773.JPG

thanks phil... got any with the #6 CS hole cut in it?

i've gone as far as i feel comfortable with so i'm carrying on with things. until the wing is built and the skin is on, i guess i won't really know for sure.
got a few nut-plated riveted on now and may wet rivet the rest as they are not completely flush with a light bit of primer underneath.

Oops... I was sure the C/S was cut in the picture.

I might be mistaken but I remember seeing somewhere that the C/S was reaching the edge of the spar... I'll look into that tomorrow.

Here is what mine looked like, the C/S hole is less critical than you might think, the load is being taken by the platenut and is distributed to the spar via the platenut rivets, which have plenty of edge clearance.

1001188v.jpg

Remember too that Van's, in an RVator from a few years ago, recommended builders not use the dimpled piece of aluminum method for determining the proper depth of countersinks on the spars. Instead, they provided measurements for what the outside diameter of the countersinks should be. What they had found was that many builders were overcountersinking the spars when trying to use the dimpled piece method. I think the primary concern was about the #8 holes, but I think measurements were given for the #6 holes as well.

If you search the archives I think the RVator article is posted here somewhere.

Hope this helps.

uhhgg... that isn't good to hear:(

i'm going to have to see if i can find that. thanks for the info!

RVator

Remember too that Van's, in an RVator from a few years ago, recommended builders not use the dimpled piece of aluminum method for determining the proper depth of countersinks on the spars. Instead, they provided measurements for what the outside diameter of the countersinks should be. What they had found was that many builders were overcountersinking the spars when trying to use the dimpled piece method. I think the primary concern was about the #8 holes, but I think measurements were given for the #6 holes as well.

If you search the archives I think the RVator article is posted here somewhere.

Hope this helps.

From "27 Years of the RVator", Page 83, it says: "The actual outside diameter of the countersink measures .365" to .375""

i'm sure my #8 are bigger than that now. #()#@ i wish i would have found out a little sooner...just a little.
well i can see not making too much progress now.