What starter and battery are you using? How well does it crank the engine?

This question can not be answered when phrased this way.
Differences in compression, prop, wire guage, battery distance, typical OAT, etc have far more to do with cranking than the actual battery or starter used.

Perhaps if you could provide some of the information above we could give you some useful answers.

This question can not be answered when phrased this way.
Differences in compression, prop, wire guage, battery distance, typical OAT, etc have far more to do with cranking than the actual battery or starter used.

Perhaps if you could provide some of the information above we could give you some useful answers.

I just want to know what battery and starter people are using in an rv related aircraft right now that's all. if you have the battery in the tail or high comp pistons then mention it. and just make it a reasonable temperature. no reason to make this real complicated right now

Last edited:
We have the Sky-tec high torque inline and two PC680 batteries on the firewall. We are using #2 wire. We see a small increase in torque if we use both batteries for startup but the IO-540 turn quite well with one battery. We have two batteries for redundency.
Ron

925 and skytec nl

I just change from a skytec lsx to a nl. I have a io 540 with odyssey 925 in the back. The lsx had some problem. It hesitate on compression. I have a mt 3 blades. It never fail to start but frequently need multiple attempt with some that stop on the compression. The engine only had 150 hre.

The new nl don't hesitate at all. I made a good choice.

Lan vinh do
Rv10 c-gmce

IO540C4B5

Fresh overhaul, good compression --- using Skytec High Torque and Concorde RG-35A --- believe me, they get a good workout trying to hot-start that D*&%^ engine!!

Fresh overhaul, good compression --- using Skytec High Torque and Concorde RG-35A --- believe me, they get a good workout trying to hot-start that D*&%^ engine!!

lol, I know where you're coming from on that one. I think that's how I did my starter in last year. d*^%F$$*&$ hot start.