phapp

Patron
Hi,

I'm working on electrical system design and can't find the power consumption / current draw or installation manuals for a Garmin 530W. I know transmitting on the com will affect it, but I'd think there'd be a basic idle figure.

Also, the specs call for 14 -28 Vdc. Is everyone running 24 volt systems or is there an additional power supply option to work on 12 V systems?

Thanks.

P. Happ
Walpole, NH
-8 QB

Aproximate figures

It depends on the P/N of the GNS530's but most of the units work on either voltage. The basic figures I have for a Non-WAAS GNS-530 are 3.6A @ 13.75VDC on the Main connector (for GPS and NAV) and 15mA on receive and 6A on Xmit on P2 @ 13.75VDC for COM. The WAAS unit's power requirements should be pretty similar as both WAAS and Non-WAAS GNS-530's use a 5A for main power and a 10A for COM power on 14vdc systems.

I hope this helps.

Circuit Breaker size.

I stand by my previous post, 5A on the P1 @ 14 or 28VDC and 10A on P2 @ 14VDC (it takes only a 5A @28VDC). Trust me. I draw avionics schematics for a living.

530W install manual

I have the 530W install manual if you need it. There are three power leads, GPS, NAV and COMM. I used three breakers, put GPS on a 5 amp, NAV on a 5 amp, and COMM on a 10 amp breaker. My system is a 12 volt system. I have seen several RVs that have combined GPS and NAV on one breaker.

Good luck,

NAV circuit breaker

The "NAV" power on P6 (or P5006) is only if you are using an indicator or other system that requires superflag (not that common). In any case if you need that, the manual calls for a 2A if I'm not mistaken. (I don't have manuals at home) But for your reference I draw prints for a company that installs oh about 50 - 60 GNS430/530 a year and I don't remember the last time I had to use the "NAV" circuit breaker. Power coming in P1 powers your GPS and NAV receiver and converter functions. In fact, you could turn the GNS 530W with only the P1 circuit breaker on, everything will work, except that it won't transmit on the COM.

2 more 530W questions

Thanks very much for the info. That raises 2 more questions for me:

1) How / why does Garmin quote operating voltages of 14-28 volts and we simply plug it in to a 12V system? Does that raise warranty / performance issues? I think this question applies to some other components as well. I don't doubt you and know that there are lots of them running just fine on 12V systems. Just curious. I do understand that P = I x E.

2) Is the installation manual available only to "approved" installers? I couldn't find it on the Garmin Web site with all the other manuals.

Thanks again.

Paul

530w

When I purchased my 530W, I asked the dealer for an electronic copy of the install manual and they sent it to me. Ask your dealer.

12VDC v 14VDC

A 12VDC system actually has 13.75VDC when the alternator is running. Same for a 24VDC system, as the alternator puts out 27.5 or 28VDC. There is no problem here.