Naruto

Well Known Member
I am in the process of buying another builders wings. He has them 95% complete. How will this affect my repairman certificate since I did not build the wings myself. I plan to build the rest of the RV 7A unless a good deal comes my way on the fuselage. Just wondering if I am better off building the wings myself because I still would like to receive the repairman certificate so I can do my own annuals.

Shoud be OK, I think ...

Naruto said:
I am in the process of buying another builders wings. He has them 95% complete. How will this affect my repairman certificate since I did not build the wings myself. I plan to build the rest of the RV 7A unless a good deal comes my way on the fuselage. Just wondering if I am better off building the wings myself because I still would like to receive the repairman certificate so I can do my own annuals.
My understanding is that you can have another "Amateur" assist you in the building process so given that the person did not do this for "hire" and you are finishing them up and you are doing the rest of the plane, you should be OK.

I defer though to te experts on this.

James

Last edited:
You should be fine

Naruto said:
If you can buy a QB kit which has most of the fuselage, wings (including ailerons & flaps) and it meets the 51% rule, than you should be OK. Keep good records and be honest. If the FAA balks show them this approve RV QB kit that meets the 51% rule.

rv-7_quickbuild_sm.jpg

verses the standard (both under the 51% rule)

rv-7_standard_kit_sm.jpg

Why is he selling. Some times you are buying someones mistake.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't decide to buy yet. I just want to make sure I don't buy someone else's mistake.