mandm1516

Well Known Member
I recently asked about buying vs. having an aircraft built not fully realizing the rules and regulations preventing someone from building an aircraft on your behalf (thanks to everyone for their replies).

Here's a similar question (sort of). I've seen a few partially completed kits for sale lately--both RV-8 quickbuilds. Reading Van's web site, it implies that the quickbuild kit is real close to the 51% rule. If I pursue a partially completed kit (one finished beyond 51%), how will the rules affect me and my ability to finish/register/fly the airplane and will i be able to perform maintenance on it as the builder once completed?

Thanks again,

Mike

Doesn't effect the 51% rule at all. A series of different AMATURE builders can buy, build some and then sell the kit. You can be the last person in line and only drive the rivets that attach the data plate and you will still be fully compliant in registering it as an experimental amature built. The 51% rule means that the for-profit manufacturer can only do 49% and the remaining 51% must be built by amature builders (in any number). Group builds qualify. This could bite you if you purchase a 51% kit and then contract out some items. The portions you contract out should be applied to the 49% side, the manufacturers side of the equation. I bet that this would be hard to detect though; ask Jay Pratt what his customers do.

You WILL be able to perform maintenance and modifications however, you won't be able to qualify for the certificate allowing you to do the yearly conditional inspections. For that, you need to be the primary builder (primary of the amature builders). Now, if you buy a kit that someone else has started but, you perform the greater amount of building, then you can qualify for the inspection certificate. You must be able to prove this when getting your final paper work completed.

Jekyll

Last edited:
Jekyll said:
You WILL be able to perform maintenance and modifications however, you won't be able to qualify for the certificate allowing you to do the yearly conditional inspections. For that, you need to be the primary builder (primary of the amature builders).
Jekyll

My understanding is that this is the call of the FAA or DAR. If you can prove you know enough to do the inspection regardless of how much you built, then you can get the repairman cert. I may be wrong, so I'd confirm this, but this is my understanding.

Mike,

My understanding, and please double check, is that the 51% rule applies to the airframe only. Things like engine, interior, electrical, avionics, etc., are not part of the equation.

Regards,