Peterk

Well Known Member
Yes, congrats to Van's and David Still for starting the 500th RV12! The article on Van's Facebook says 90 are flying. Actually, according to the FAA registry there are 115 including the ambuilts. As fast as they go together it will be interesting to see how fast the completed ones grow. I have no doubt they will soon pass each of the SLSA's avail simply because of price. In fact the Feb 1st increase is within $400 of last year's. Still, basically a $60,000 airplane. Good job Vans. One of the few manufacturers that understood one of the original plans of the LSA category...to produce a less expensive new aircraft.

What a success story

I received the tail kit almost a year ago today. I was #336. The airplane is complete except for the motor. If I had known the project would progress a quickly as it has and planned for it, to minimize lead times, it would be flying. It is amazing that they have sold 164 12 kits since then. It has to be tough to be a competitor and see these results. For that matter, it has to be tough to be Piper or Cessna and see these numbers! Just curious, does anyone know what the highest time RV is? Congratulations to Van's! Thanks to the VAF also! Thanks Doug! All users should pay their fees!

If there are indeed 115 flying...

...out of 164 sold...that makes close to 70% completion rate...probably a new record for homebuilts! Close to twice the other RV's finish rate and waaaay ahead of most any other homebuilt. Can you say HOMERUN?

Regards,

Wonder if???

Now that one of the two major certified general aircraft manufacturers if no longer importing finished airplanes from the Chec (sp?) Republic or wherever, I wonder if they are talking to Van's about producing RV-12 as finished SLSA?

American jobs maybe???

You mis figured, there are 500 sold, and 90 or 115 flying.

...out of 164 sold...that makes close to 70% completion rate...probably a new record for homebuilts! Close to twice the other RV's finish rate and waaaay ahead of most any other homebuilt. Can you say HOMERUN?

Regards,

Now that one of the two major certified general aircraft manufacturers if no longer importing finished airplanes from the Chec (sp?) Republic or wherever, I wonder if they are talking to Van's about producing RV-12 as finished SLSA?

American jobs maybe???

Just my own theory but I think they have made the building process for the 12 so enticing (anyone can do it!) and quick (a year or less?) that many of the purchasers realize they can save the labor expense and build their own without screwing it up. It becomes a $60,000 new airplane instead of any $80,000 one. I don't think there is a big market for completed ones. Cessna Skycatcher buyers on the other hand are convinced their safety demands the expertise of a major manufacturer (that outsources them to China?). They crashed their first two prototypes but they still have lots of orders. Apparently their only shortage is engineers. The best ones are in the experimental arena where they can explore. Van's has their share obviously.

Let the good times roll.

The RV 12 could be the beginning of a new era in homebuilding. The Kit was released in April of 2008 at Sun & Fun. By April of 2011 There could be around 550 serial numbers issued and around 125 flying 12s. If the economy in the US continues to grow these numbers will only increase. One of the reasons this plane has done so well is the ease of building and very good directions. If Vans could go to the next level by digitizing the directions. Then by including some automation or 3-D graphics this would help the building process as well. By incorporating all the latest in proven technology into the kit will make it easier to.:)

I use yet another measure of being a winner. You can count on your fingers the number of completed for sale, and even less of builders that are bailing out, since it was not for them. Most kits find short lived homes, and are in storage or just laying around someplace.

While numbers and statistics are interesting and compelling, the RV-12 is a fantastic airplane to fly! Easy to build, easy to land, exceptional visibility, nimble and light on the controls, frugal on fuel, well equipped with plenty of options, and quite speedy for an LSA. It is all RV for sure! :D

Congrats to Vans for hitting the nail on the head.

Last edited:
Wow, 500 RV-12 kits selling is an **increadible** success! Dan Johnson's web site has a posting with the number of SLSA planes registered since 2004. At 125 flying RV-12s, it is ranked 6th place if it was a SLAS. Another 199 flying would put it at the top of the list. And from the post above the 12 wasn't available until 2008 ... just fantastic.

I thought our 9A was fairly simple to build, but the 12 is really a big step in bringing the building process to a new level. I just realized that we have a "factory" where none of the workers, or even the low- and mid-level supervisors, have a high school education! Hint: You will be seeing more of this. mykitlog.com/bobkelly This is kit 120467, BTW.

Bob

been down this road

American jobs maybe???

[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool (rule #5 at: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm). Answering a specific, technical question that can be verified with a source is of course allowed - and encouraged!
brandlogo.jpg
]

Last edited by a moderator:
By members of our EAA Chapter 108 based in Crestview FL, there is one RV-12 completed and flying and three under construction. The one flying is in DeFuniak Springs, one being built in Baker, the other two in Shalimar and Fort Walton Beach.

750th!

For anyone still keeping score on the popularity of the RV-12, I have it on good authority that Vans has now reached 750 kit starts.

I know this because my empennage kit arrived yesterday. Wish me luck. :)