twsurveyor

Well Known Member
My mags predate the latest Slick AD and are approaching the 500 Hour "required" inspection. I generally go by the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and have been told by some A&E's (as for experimentals) "as long as there are no problems and the timming is not starting to stray, then don't worry about it".

On the other hand, Others say it needs to be done. Question is, how have others handled the 500 hour mag inspection, what were the results and what if any parts needed replaced etc.

Thanks ahead of time for your input and knowledge!

Last edited:
500 hour Slick Mag Inspection

I just had mine inspected by the shop in the Seattle area, Aircraft Magneto. Mine were not dropping excessive rpm and seemed to be running just fine. My mechanic buddy convinced me to send them in for the inspection because of the current SB. The disassemble, clean, inspect, remagnetize, replace the points and carbon pile, and reassemble with new oil seals and test plus documentation for the SB with yellow tags, $250 labor plus parts each. They returned all replaced parts. Both sets of points were badly pitted, one oil seal was leaking, and the secondary on one coil was bad, total cost to inspect two mags (4370/73) $725. Yikes!! The inspected mags are now reinstalled and running great, dropping less than 25 rpm each on my Dynon 180. With my luck, the mag with the bad secondary would have quit at some far out airport with no mechanical services on a three day weekend. Dan

My mags were running fine, but I was in the 250hr group (if I remember the number correctly). Mine looked OK except for the coil tab on one was deeply pitted. Unfortunately you can't just replace the $.02 tab..you have to replace the coil with I believe was ~$220.

A friend however had the 500 hour limit and I helped him take his apart. There was carbon dust throughout this mags and evidence of arching was abundant as the case was burned in several places. This was on both of his mags. He ended up just swapping for new ones.

Just be aware that it doesn't take many parts to make swapping out your mags for new ones the cheaper route.

the mags are a bit important..........

and a hassle to do if not planned at home. do during the 500- 600 hr range and be happy. my 2 cents. did mine at 550 last month.

$250 labor plus parts each.

I'm in the wrong business. I've torn down, inspected, and reassembled Slick mags in under an hour. Any A&P worth a grain of salt should be able to do this with ease. Almost every mag I've disassembled for the 500 hour check has had issues, some with serious issues (covered under the carbon-brush AD). Slick covers the parts cost under warranty if the AD is applicable to the SN of the mag.

Last edited:
I just had mine inspected by the shop in the Seattle area, Aircraft Magneto. Mine were not dropping excessive rpm and seemed to be running just fine. My mechanic buddy convinced me to send them in for the inspection because of the current SB. The disassemble, clean, inspect, remagnetize, replace the points and carbon pile, and reassemble with new oil seals and test plus documentation for the SB with yellow tags, $250 labor plus parts each. They returned all replaced parts. Both sets of points were badly pitted, one oil seal was leaking, and the secondary on one coil was bad, total cost to inspect two mags (4370/73) $725. Yikes!! The inspected mags are now reinstalled and running great, dropping less than 25 rpm each on my Dynon 180. With my luck, the mag with the bad secondary would have quit at some far out airport with no mechanical services on a three day weekend. Dan

How important is the "remagnetize" part?

Slick Magneto Maintenance Schedule pages

To view the Slick Maintenance Schedule pages in the manual for the 100hr and the 500hr inspection are posted on G3i?s FaceBook page. Click on the Hyper-link below.