mark manda

Well Known Member
Just hit over 50 hrs. today while flying over the lake trying stay welded to Dan Checkoway's wing. I'm trying. Seems too close. :)

Talk about a dream come true-- you know those computer website flying pictures of DanC? Well, I'm seeing them at 3,500'-- 40ft. away for 45 mins today and yesterday. Life is GOOD!

The plane-- I suggest really setting that break out force on the nose wheel correctly. I tore my paint up when i didn't set it with the weight off the plane. Luckily for us, I had a 20,000 hr. pilot made the first flight. The pant was violently slapping side to side and almost tore through the stop bracket.

My oil usage levelled off at 35 hrs. and now it uses about a qt. every 8 to 10 hrs. New Factory Ly-Con IO-360 M1B counter weighted crankshaft style.

I changed the battery in Dec. for the halibut and the new battery was worse than the two year old one so got a third battery. Seems okay now.

My plane backfires or pops on taxiing which it didn't do 10hrs. ago.

Had a heavy right wing-- I mentioned it and my friend bobby baker quized me as to whether it was heavy or if the controls were heavy. Heavy wing controls light. BANG, BANG, BANG! BANG BANG- on the aileron. Hey, it's okay now.

Still need a rudder tab. Spring idea sounds interesting but will probably just mount a wedge.

I flew a couple times at night and scared myself at the closure speeds on C-172's. What a beautiful airplane to fly at night though. my panel's nice and looking out offers plenty of view.

My lights are barely enough for landing but fine for taxiing.

I taxied around yesterday with my Nav/position lights on. The green pos. light melted my lense and now I have a devit (sp?) in my right wingtip lense, so I won't be taxiing with the pos. lights on during the day.

Someone said just step on my seats-- so I stepped on my seats (at night) two days later I notice I have these huge sissor, jagged tire marks on my Classic Aero leather seats. I'm using a towel now when I step in. Works better.

I have a brake dragging on the left side but it's okay the first flight of the day.

Temps are 169 oil temp and in a steep climb my #3 CHT gets to 400-412.

Have an intermittent fuel press. drop. Press. drops, and comes right back up from 10 psi to 20. I called Lycoming and they said the only (SB) pumps they were looking to change were 2000 and 2001. Mind is a 2003. I'm going to change it anyway.

Speeds- not sure. 192GS,187GS, 151GS at 8000ft.DA. WOT Looks like I have an honest 150kt. airplane. WhirlWind 200RV prop.

Which reminds me; I've been having so much fun, I've been to two fly-In's in two weeks. I need to get the prop balanced.

I've had a bad habit of telling people the hundred things I'd do differently. They really like my plane as is so I need to stop that.

I'm coming in on final at 83kts. over the fence at 73kts. and I'm getting to where I can hold it off until the wheels start turning. :)

People like the wig wags.

The plane seems very small inside and uncomfortable reaching around for stuff in back. Just now adapting to it.

The air vents work great. And no leaks at all in the slider canopy.

Had a few brake fluid leaks at the tee.

Put the fifth lap belt in a week later. And realized that my wiring was slightly in the way. Recommend putting the lap mount in early if you're planning on them.

Also, I felt like a drunk Dudley Moore in the movie "Arthur" trying to put those fifth belt plates together. I finally had to ask someone what those plans meant. Puzzled. And then afterwards, I found a pict I had copied off Walter's site that would have cleared it up. I personally like the fifth belt. Keeps the lap belts from riding up when I snug up on the shoulder harnesses.

I gotta go. she just saw the $700 of gas receipts I just pulled out of my wallet. And that's not counting the Chevron Gas truck account.

FWIW.
RV-7a Flying!!!