prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm following Checkoway's technique of using the ANL limiter, and running 8AWG wire for the main bus off the post on the limiter mount:

I need to get the correct size ring terminal... the post is about 5/16". All the ones I have from my Stein Master kit are too small. I can't seem to find the right one on Spruce (their ring terminals are all advertised for AWG10 and higher wire).
Any pointers to terminals that would work?

found some

at B&C. Man, this stage of the build is a never-ending sequence of small orders for parts!

Umm....we stock the AWG8 terminals in #10 (3/16"), 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8"....and they are 60% cheaper than B&C. (ours are $.25, theirs are $.75).

I suppose you tried to call but our phone was busy, if that doesn't work, they are listed on the website along with all the rest of our terminals!

Cheers,
Stein

Umm....we stock the AWG8 terminals in #10 (3/16"), 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8"....and they are 60% cheaper than B&C. (ours are $.25, theirs are $.75).

I suppose you tried to call but our phone was busy, if that doesn't work, they are listed on the website along with all the rest of our terminals!

Cheers,
Stein

I can vouch for that, great savings ... my order is being delivered Monday!
(Terminals,wire,aux. power socket, grounding blocks & warning light.)
Thanks Stein
P.S. I'm still saving for the trutrak pitch servo\mounting bracket and harness ;)

Last edited:
I suspect the price diff with B&C's may be that theirs "are supplied as a kit which includes a short piece of dual-wall heavy-duty heatshrink". That being said, I already have a heatshrink kit from my Steinair kit, so I don't need more.

Question - what wattage of soldering iron do I need to reliably solder AWG6 wire to a terminal? Mine is 110V/120VAC 45W. Will this be sufficient?

Last edited:
Indeed B&C does include a piece of heatshrink. But...that piece of HS doesn't make up the rest of their $.50 price difference over a $.25 terminal. Believe me, the HS costs a lot less than the terminal itself.

My though...get a good crimper and crimp it. A good crimp is just as good as a solder joint, and a lot less likely to be screwed up. A large majority of heavy gauge joints I've seen soldered have the solder wicked way up inside the wire, which is only a matter of time before that fails. Well soldered joints are great if done 100% properly, but if not, they are bad in the long run. At least if you mess up a crimp you'll know right away. I've fixed and seen LOTS of bad solder lugs, but rarely have I seen a crimp gone bad.

We use Bill Wightmans Terminal Tool - it's the best I've ever seen for crimping heavy wires, and does an absolutely perfect job. We don't sell them as of yet (we were going to, but then they were so darned good I ended up using/giving away all of them I bought from him, so now I need to buy more and put them on the website).

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited: