DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Bob Devore from Van's just emailed me that Steve Formhals of Helotes, TX emailed in his database listing. His was #5,000.

Way to go Van's!!!!!

5000_RVs.jpg

It's an -8!

Ladies and Gents
the 5000th RV to be built and flown and recorded in Vans Database was
N628RV. It was built by a repeat offender Mr Steve Formhals

(copied from Vans website)
Received February 13, 2007

Although it has been a few months and about 142.1 Hours of flight time (But who?s counting!), RV-8 N628RV finally flew for the first time on April 30, 2006. The kit was originally begun in Kansas, moved to New York and then to San Antonio where I finally purchased it from the second owner. So far, it has actually covered more distance as a kit than it has as a finished aircraft, but I?m working on that. Statistics are: ECI Titan IO 360, Hartzell Blended Airfoil prop, 2 Blue Mountain EFIS G3s and AP, Electronics International engine gauges and interior by Classic Aero. I thought the RV-6 that I built previously was a wonderful machine and I have not been disappointed in any way with the new RV-8. It is truly amazing!

All of the raving about RVs is true. I am already looking forward to another RV project, even though I still need to get this one painted!

Steve Formhals
Helotes, TX.
FLYING RV-8 N628RV
[ sf3543 at att.com ]

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYBODY!!!!!!
BEST
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
Congratulations, to all of those who have built RV's as part of the fleet of 5,000. You have contributed to the most successful "amateur" built airplanes in the history of mankind.

Orville & Wilbur would be proud.

Do I hear 10,000?

Last edited:
What do all of these aircraft have in common?

Cirrus - all models
Diamond Aircraft - all models
Piper Comanche
Cessna Cardinal
Beech Musketeer series
Grumman AA-1 & AA-5
Maule - all models
Taylorcraft - all models
Bell 47 helicopter
Every Boeing 700 series model from the 707 to the 777

Answer: According to Airliners.net, the total production for each of these is less than 5000 aircraft.

That's really great news for Van's. That means I'll be able to buy my next aircraft kit from them too! For me the glass is totally full. However, I can't help but feel we RV'ers are becoming a little common now. We're the spam cans of the experimental world if there is such a thing. :)

OTOH, with that many RV's in the world maybe it's time to start thinking about forming an actual political association a la Cessna Pilot's Association, or EAA, or sumsuch.

I actually like Spam by the way. Thank you Hormel!

svanarts said:
snip...
OTOH, with that many RV's in the world maybe it's time to start thinking about forming an actual political association a la Cessna Pilot's Association, or EAA, or sumsuch....snip
Been tossing this around for a few years, Scott. I've owned www.RVOPA.org for many years just in case it ever gets to that <g>. Never know where it'll end up!

Best always,
Doug