49clipper

Well Known Member
Anyone been to Leadville with a O-320 (160) with the sensenich prop in RV-6. Just wondering if its doable at gross weight. I have been to 14500 with it but it seems from memory my climb rate at that time was only about 350-400 fpm. I was not at gw then. Hmmm. I only produce about 120 hp on TO currently at 500msl, so I need to calculate what it would be at 10000'. Any pireps.
Jim
RV-6.

RV9

I have a close combination Jim a FP Catto and a carburated 320. Visited Ledville in the middle of July at nearly full gross. The runway there is very long but lengthier takeoff distance and anemic climb are quite noticeable. It's doable in your RV6 I am sure.

I have flown my RV-6 out of Leadville back when I had a "tired" 150 hp O-320 with a Sensenich wood prop. DA was 13,000'. I had no problem.
Don't remember the precise temperature but it WAS summertime, middle of the day. 7 other RVs were there. I had no problem meaning that there was plenty of runway left. Yes, the take-off roll was longer than normal and climb was not as at sea level. But the point is that pretty much any RV will be fine operating out of Leadville unless there are other extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
The other 800 pound gorilla in the room is temperature -- cool mornings will make a difference. And don't forget about mountain winds, either. The rule of thumb I've seen is 1,000 feet of terrain clearance for every 10 knots of wind, and above 30 knots, forget it. Presumably you're already up to speed on mountain flying techniques...

Question: why does it have to be at gross weight? Will half fuel get you to a lower airport with nice, fat reserves?

And not to slam anybody, but "I had no problem" is a statement that needs a lot of corroborative detail before you take it at face value.

Ed

Last edited:
thanks Ed, Vlad, and Mel.
Yes, I am up to speed on the mountain flying, have been out there several times, but never landed at that elevation, usually just flying over and landing at 6-8K. Gross weight is, because in my -6, with my wife and I, and full tanks, its pretty near gross (1650). maybe 20# bags and that's it. Now, if I planned it right I could get down to 1/2 tanks, but then the CG shifts to the rear.
Just wondering, as I have a hankering to do that in the near future. Its would not even be a question with a constant speed prop, but then that's not gonna happen.
I did leave Alamosa one day at 88f and very, very high humidity, (I forget the exact DA), but I hope to never do that again. Way too close for me, maybe 150fpm climb and used 3/4 of the runway.
Jim N189EM

I imagine you know this but at that DA, you would want to lean for best power/RPM from take-off to cruise.