RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have the Garmin 240 intercom, and I want to hook my 496 to one of the music inputs on the 496. The audio plug on the back of the 496 is male, is it possible to find a mail connector that you can solder into or do you guys solder the intercom wires to a female plug then just use an off the shelf connector with male connectors at both ends. I believe the connector on the back of the 496 is 3.5mm. Also does the audio alert come through if you listening to XM music. Not a big deal as I have the G430 as well and terrain alerts will come across via that connection.

Thank, I keep running into these little things I had not thought about.

Cheers

Never mind

With a little searching I found that you can get just the 3.5 mm (1/8") plug from Radio Shack.

Yes on the alerts

I have the 496 into the PS3000 intercom and the audio alerts come over along with the XM music.

SteinAir did a fantastic job on mine the other day

short pigtail with 3.5 mm 90 degree stereo jack into a shielded wire which then runs back to my PSE 8000B audio panel entertainment inputs. Wired to audio low and audio left. The 496 has mono output only. This way I can switch the alerts off if I choose too.

Something New

I did not realize that 496 was mono only, just bought a 3.5 mm stereo plug, one less wire to solder on I guess.

I am not sure I understand how you say you can turn alerts off with the way you wired the 496, do you mean you just deselect that input on your intercom.

My plan is to wire music input 1 to the 496 on my Garmin 240 audio panel. The only way I see to disable alert other than in the 496 menu is to deselect music 1 input on the intercom, of course the would inhibit XM Music as well.

So the XM music out of the 496 is mono only? Did not know that. So with the way you wired this will you only hear XM music on one side of your headset?

Cheers

short pigtail with 3.5 mm 90 degree stereo jack into a shielded wire which then runs back to my PSE 8000B audio panel entertainment inputs. Wired to audio low and audio left. The 496 has mono output only. This way I can switch the alerts off if I choose too.

The audio output from the 3.5mm jack on the back of the 496 is stereo, not mono.

mcb

XM music is in brilliant stereo. Not all intercoms are stereo, though - you will need to confirm it is capable or else blend the outputs (a resistor from each of R/L leads) for mono.

Found this also

I started doing some digging and found the same thing, I just could not believe that they would put a mono jack for something that will play music. I think the confusion is many have mono audio panels. The Garmin 240 is stereo so I should be golden with the stereo plug I will solder in. Thanks for catching this.

The audio output from the 3.5mm jack on the back of the 496 is stereo, not mono.

mcb