638RS

Well Known Member
how does the 496 behave when the data base expires? Does it bombard you with messages until you update it or does it just remind you when you turn it on?

data base

I've had mine (496) over a year now and have never seen any warning about the data base expiration date. I've updated the aviation and airport info data bases a couple of times but the only messages I ever see are on startup when the data date info scrolls down the warmup page. I have not updated the terrain data since purchase. Otherwise, on my unit, no warnings at all.

None of the Garmin products do any warnings about the data bases being out of date during flight that I'm aware of. I think most guys update only 1-2 times a year.

Last edited:
None of the Garmin products do any warnings about the data bases being out of date during flight that I'm aware of. I think most guys update only 1-2 times a year.
That's for the portable products. The first message on the GNS-430/530/w on power-up is the database validity dates. It doesn't warn you per se, but you do have to acknowledge the validity dates before the unit will go into operating mode. Since I use if for IFR, I do the monthly updates.

Ironically however my Garmin Nuvi does warn me that "my map is over a year old and may be out of date." Go figure.

During startup the 496 disclaimer page scrolls through the database validity dates for the various air, auto terrain etc. databases. You just press select "I Agree" and move on. Takes about 1/10 second.

Off Topic

how does the 496 behave when the data base expires? Does it bombard you with messages until you update it or does it just remind you when you turn it on?
Snake bit? Sounds like you have "Vista" on your computer!

Thanks for all the info

I was just curious how the 496 behaved because I have a Garmin 340 GPS in my car and it reminds you every time you turn it on. Won't proceed until you confirm... Not a big deal... just wondered if the 496 was any different...

Thanks