rjcthree

Well Known Member
My 496 won't find my home from anywhere I've taken it. It tries to sent me due south 8096 miles. It doesn't matter if I'm in the neighborhood or 800 miles away. It finds local (10 mile) addresses, but not anything in my home town that I've tried.

If a couple of you would be so kind as to plug in

30 525 Lake Road
Bay Village OH 441 40
(spaces added for de-spamation)

And tell me what your 496 comes up with, along with your date of last database update, that would be great. Mine is July 2008(when new).

Rick 90432

You might try...

This is not my GPS I have a 396 but it sounds like the same problem I had. If the clock setting is lost. (Dead battery) it looses its position and never figures out where you are.

In setup mode look for an option to set the time or bypass the quick start procedure.

If you get all your satellites this is not the problem but it sure sounds like the problem I was having.

I ran into something that made me think the problem was realted and sure enough the GPS is just fine now. Good thing to know before departing! :p

try software

I had the very same problem. There is an internal battery and we decided that it was the battery and it was going to be a hassle and costly to get a new battery. As a last ditch effort we did a software update and its now flawless. try that, it should be free. This is not the map update but the operating software essentially. it was free for me. Never worked better.

Guys, I don't think Rick is talking about getting a lock. He's talking about the auto database not having his address.

BTW: One of the cool things with the 496 is you can go to auto mode and find an address and then save it as a waypoint. Go back to av mode and you can "go to" the waypoint. I use this all the time when flying Young Eagles. I'll ask the kid where they live if and their house is within reasonable flying distance I'll use the 496 to find their house. Very cool stuff.

GPS Street Map Data

The Census Bureau's Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing (TIGER) files are used as part of the source data for OpenStreetMap in the US.

If your street isn't accurate in the TIGER files, the error may or may not have been corrected as part of the database data collection effort.

My house is/is not there....depending on which data sets are used by the GPS manufacturer, GoogleEarth, Mapquest, etc. etc.

Magellan works, Garmin does not in the case of my house...

Good luck,
Mike

Jamie is correct

Jamie's correct, I get a lock just fine. I can find myself at the location in question, I get get to and from other places. I've tried about half-dozen addresses locally, to the same results - I can't get there. Rick

got ya

I just looked you up on my 496 with a map updated circa: a long time ago. you came right up:

30525 lake rd
bay village, OH 44140

Software: update it, they go crazy without it