akschu

Well Known Member
Patron
I ordered my panel, so now I'm writing up my wiring documentation in visio to separate the figurin' from the wirin'.

I've been referring to this document provided by someone who has already done this:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=339533&postcount=11

As well as the AFS documention:
http://www.advanced-flight-systems....ing Diagram-ARINC-429 Adaptor Layout1 (1).pdf

Couple of questions come from comparing those to each other:

1. What is the purpose of connecting OBS/VLOC/GPS annunciation from the 430W to the EFIS? Seems like the EFIS would already know what it's doing based on which input it was paying attention to. I guess this also begs the question: Does the 430w output VOR/ILS and GPS ARINC simultaneously?

2. What does the 430 get from the EFIS on the serial port? I see that the first diagram marks it as fuel flow so does the 430w have some sort of fuel computer in it?

3. I see the 430 has arinc inputs, but I'm not doing weather or traffic so what useful information would the EFIS provide the 430 on the arinc side?

4. Can the 430W comm accept channel changes over serial like the SL-30?

I guess I don't understand why the 430w has inputs, what does it do with this information? Obviously I've never used one.

Thanks,
schu

3. the 430 provides the EFIS with autopilot steering commands over 429

4. No.

Use AFS's diagram

Hi Schu,

1. You do not need to wire up the Annun connections. They are supplied over RS232/ARINC anyway. AFS diagram does not show any connection to these pins on the 430W / ARINC diagram.

Yes the 430W outputs both the VOR/GPS at the same time. I have the Arinc converter as well as Garmin CDI. On the EFIS I can select the HSI source as GPS/VOR or AUTO (Default). The AUTO setting allows the EFIS HSI to follow the VLOC/GPS button on the 430W, whilst the other two setting allow you to force it to listen to either stream. This way I can force the EFIS to display VOR and use the VLOC/GPS button on the 430W to select the source for the CDI. i.e. I can put the GPS on the EFIS and the VOR on the 430W.

2. The 430W has a fuel computer in it which is not much use to us as AFS is far superior. I know the 430W can also accept a feed from Magnetic flux compass etc. I have that pin connected but I have not noticed a lot happening. Perhaps someone else knows...

Anyway, Just follow AFS' instructions for the 430W exactly and it will work.

Cheers
Richard

Last edited: