RV7ator

Well Known Member
For you 400 series users, how desirable, annoying, or critical is having a 400 series display nearly in front of you? How much do you depend on its screen vs. having a CDI/HSI for course guidance, especially during an approach?

Here's why I ask. I want to cram a 695 between a D100 and a 430W in a -7. This positions the 430W far enough right that its screen is on the verge of exceeding its clearest viewing angle even though the EFIS's center is displaced 1.5" to the left of my direct forward view. (The positions conform to installation requirements, BTW.) I've fired these things up on the bench and It seems a bit annoying to be looking ....over there...when I've become accustomed to having navigation information in front of me for 40 years.

I could avoid the question by using a smaller GPS, like an Aera, but every GPS in the entire world suffers from poor sunlight legibility in too many instances to be ignored, save the 695/6 which is not too bad. (I've flown a 696 in a -7 for 75 hours, and recently compared many Garmins and B-Ks side-by-side, outside, bright sun, simultaneously. Thus, my feelings about displays.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

John Siebold

John, mine is mounted low...

...in the center console and it's readable but I prefer approaches with the HSI and since the 430 "talks" to the HSI on my D-100, the waypoints sequence.

Best,

John, the only consideration that I can think of is the requirement for annunciators for off- angle viewing if you're planning to fly GPS IFR. I recall Dynon posting about this a month or so ago. For a WAAS 430, if the unit is more than 11.8" off the centerline of the pilot's instrument scan a VLOC/GPS annunciator is required (which the D100 has, so you'd be good there). However, if it's more than 13.41" off centerline, the full package of annunciators is required and Dynon doesn't have all of them. The solution is simply an annunciator panel in your field of view, which is fairly easy to do.

I'd measure the distance from centerline of the 430W and give Dynon a call to get their take.