SteveHRV7

I am just about complete with my 7a. I have a Garmin 430W that has never been used and needs to have the databases updated. I spent quite a bit of time on the Garmin site trying to find out how to update the data bases and program the cards. It is not a friendly site! It appears that there are 2 card slots in the 430W: one for NavData and one for Terrain. I assume they both need to be updated from Garmin. Are the cards typical USB cards that can be read with the standard card reader on my PC or do you need the (expensive) Garmin card reader/programmer? I realize the NavData card must be regularly updated but how often does the Terrain data need to be updated. Thanks!

The left slot is for the nav data and the right for terrain. Most people update their terrain very infrequently (mine's three years old). I do keep the nav date current.

You will need an adapter from Jep to connect the data cards to your computer. After that, it's pretty simple!

Good luck!

Steve

The "navdata" card on the left may be updated by setting up a jeppesen account. If you do so, I believe jeppesen will send you the required adapter which the navdata card slides into on one side and has a USB connector on the other. Updates are via the jeppesen website by download.

Alternative to setting up a jeppesen account you may buy a recently programmed card on ebay. Be aware the card for the 430W is different than the 430 card. The 430 card is 4mb as opposed to 32mb for the 430W card I believe.

Steve

The "navdata" card on the left may be updated by setting up a jeppesen account. If you do so, I believe jeppesen will send you the required adapter which the navdata card slides into on one side and has a USB connector on the other. Updates are via the jeppesen website by download.

Alternative to setting up a jeppesen account you may buy a recently programmed card on ebay. Be aware the card for the 430W is different than the 430 card. The 430 card is 4mb as opposed to 32mb for the 430W card I believe.

I don't think Jeppesen sends the adapter for free. I think it cost me around $50:(

Here.

Steve, the gentleman's VAF ID is "Cirruspilot" and I've dealt with him on several occasions.

$50 and swap your card for his updated one.

Best,

GPS 430W data card summary

Thanks for all your input. By combining the information from these posts and calls into Jepp and Garmin I have a definitive answer on data for the Garmin 430W:
In the 430W there are two card slots. The left card slot is for NavData which requires a data subscription from Jepp as well as their proprietary data card reader ($50). Updates are every 28 days and are available for a yearly subscription fee.
The right card is for terrain and obstacle databases. These are purchased from Garmin. The 430 is preloaded with this data when you purchase it. The terrain database is updated every year or so and most pilots rarely update it. Sounds good unless California falls into the ocean. The obstacle data base can be updated every 56 days at a cost of about $50 per update - but you must use the Garmin proprietary data card reader which is available for $150! The Garmin rep recommended that if you want to update your obstacle database to find someone near you who already has the data card reader and see if you can borrow it. Hope this helps clarify things.