jeffsvan

Well Known Member
I have an older nav/comm system that has a separate glideslope receiver unit and marker beacon receiver. I am removing these.

I am installing a SL30 and a Garmin 430W, with a PMA 6000 audio panel.

I am assuming I can get rid of the glideslope receiver box and the marker beacon box because
SL30 has its own glideslope receiver built in, and the audio panel has its own marker beacon?

Is this correct? I can just plug the antennas directly into the new radios?

Since the 430 is a Waas unit will I still need a signal from my altitude encoder connected to it?
I remember the standard non Waas 430 did need those signals?

Toss the old MB and GS recievers...

The SL30 has a built in diplexer but the 430W does not so if you are using combo antenna's, watch out for this.

Keep the altitude input to the 430W...

The SL-30 has one built in so you connect the VOR/LOC/GS antenna to the one NAV antenna input and the built in diplexer splits the signal inside to the VOR/LOC and GS recievers respectively.

Same thing must happen with the 430W as well only it is either done on the outside the unit with an external diplexer or you use two different antennas for VOR/LOC and GS.

Seems that most people use the same antenna for VOR/LOC/GS so the diplexer is required on the 430W if you do.

If you plan to use the same antenna for both the SL30 and the 430W it gets a little more complex and you will suffer some signal loss in the process.

Last edited: