DBone

Well Known Member
This thread contained the following advice on the 496 (post #4 dated 12/21/08):

If the GPS is not giving you any error messages like "internal battery low" or something like that, I would say that it has an invalid almanac data file. This happens when the GPS has been off for an extended period of time, so when you turn it on, it does not know where look for the GPS satellites. That's why it takes about 20 min to acquire. Next time you turn it on, leave it on for about 2 hours after it acquires to give it time to download the current almanac data.

I just fired up my 430W for the first time, and I am seeing the exact same issue. I did a Garmin style reset/reboot, and after about 10-15 minutes, it aquired satalites. I shut it down, then about an hour later, took it back outside and it didn't know where it was again. I left it about 5-10 minutes and nothing.

Other than a trip to Garmin in late 2008 for a check-out, it has not been turned on since 11/2007. Do you think it's possible that my 430W has the same almanac issues as the 496 mentioned above? It sounds like the exact same problem, but I've never heard of a GPS downloading new almanac info.

Any Garmin guru's out there with any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave,

Did you use the GA 35 GPS antenna and install according to the 400W install manual. I think Garmin has upgraded the software for this box several times. Latest software update was summer of 2009. The upgrades should have improved the satellite mask angle and other capabilities. Check Garmin's web site.

Check to make sure you have the latest software upgrade (I think SW version 3.1 is the latest). Did you use the newer antenna that they changed with the WAAS upgraded unit? How old is the unit? Maybe the internal button-cell battery is dead.

Almanac

It takes about one hour of the GPS being on to download the almanac database. A GPS with an outdated database does take 10 to 15 minutes to acquire, so nothing to worry about there. Let it acquire and then wait 40 to 50 minutes (just to be sure) before you turn it off. I bet it'll work fine after that.

Hi Freddy.....

...if you're ever down my way, I'll take you up in my -10. I'm in Louisville, Ga (2J3).

Regards,