AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
I've noticed a few changes in how the upgraded 430 works, some irritating. I suspect these changes are explained in the book, but of course I haven't read the book (yet - not flying ifr with it yet).

One has to do with which airport is is the waypoint page (big knob to the right one click). In the original, whatever airport was most recently selected would remain in the waypoint until another was selected. No more. I used to typically go to the flight plan page, select whatever airport in the list I was interested in, and hit enter once. Then, when I bailed out of the flight plan page back to the main map, a single turn of the big knob would bring that airport's info up. Now it seems I have to crank it in manually.

Another thing, which seems like a setup problem, is that the winds calculator doesn't work. I can enter in the various fields, and it will calculate TAS, but winds simply indicate zero.

Seems like there was one more, but I can't recall at the moment.

Anyone else have these little problems?

I had the same problems when I upgraded my 430s to WAAS. There is a software upgrade that needs to be loaded into your GPS. It took Garmin over a year to get the software ready. I also had trouble with the VSR (Vertical Speed Required) function. It would only work part of the time. I had my WAAS upgrades done by an avionics shop so they did the software upgrades. I still have one of units in which the VSR function doesn't work. The Nav and all approach functions have worked fine for me. I also had one of my units screen quit right after the units were installed. That was covered at no charge, as are the software upgrades.

Thanks. I'll talk to the shop through whom the upgrade was "done" about the software upgrade. Seems like I heard something about it, I'll check to see which version I have.