Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the XM weather from a 396 over to a 430???

Short of buying a GDL69 remote receiver which cost more than a 396 does now, is there a way to do this?

If not, I'll have a backup and weather on just the backup.

Thanks in advance
Webb
RV7A - N32WW

Short of buying a GDL69 remote receiver which cost more than a 396 does now, is there a way to do this?

NO!

Not worth the effort and the 396 screen is MUCH better to display weather than the 430. Get your self an Airgizmo's mount and "permanently" mount your "backup" in the panel.

Thanks William

Thanks William - I appreciate the direct answer. Quite frankly, it won't hurt my feelings have 2 GPS's on board. I know for sure that I don't want to give up the weather. I don't have room in the panel to mount the 396.

If there isn't a way to get the wx overlay onto the 430 or it's a bad picture, then I have to consider where to mount the 396 so it can be there on a "as needed basis". One of the reasons is I fly with some friends and get requested to bring it with me.

A mount on top of the fuel pump housing is one location that comes to mind. It would be simple to screw a mount on top. My only worry would be the possibility of introducing vertigo in IMC. I could also look at a gooseneck mount attached to there.

Another is under the engine controls. I will just have to build a bracket if it goes there.

Worst case - I just use my bean bag mount like I do now.

Last edited:
What else do you have in the panel? It seems an RV-7 would have enough room in the radio stack for Audio Panel, GNS-430, 396 and transponder. Anything else would not be needed during normal flight and I would find a place for that elswhere.

Along with "NO", there is no way to scroll ahead with the buttons on the 430. The 396 is much better suited to looking around at the weather.

Along with "NO", there is no way to scroll ahead with the buttons on the 430. The 396 is much better suited to looking around at the weather.

Not sure about the 430 but the 430W allows you to scroll around the map with the knobs.

Actually you CAN scroll ahead with the 430/430w/530/w using the inner/outer knobs but it is MUCH easier to do on the 396/496/596. The 430/530/w is a great navigator/radio but marginal as a MFD.

Panel

What else do you have in the panel? It seems an RV-7 would have enough room in the radio stack for Audio Panel, GNS-430, 396 and transponder. Anything else would not be needed during normal flight and I would find a place for that elswhere.

Trust me, no room. From Left to Right, Clock, Dynon EMS, standard 6 pack, auto pilot, garmin 106 head, Garmin 327, 430, 340, Icon 200, and a map box, not to mention trim LED, vacum, ELT display, and the usual switches and circuit breakers. Don't want to take map box out and encoder mounted on the bottom of it. I would post a picture but I'm at the beach right now and just thinking of the last to do things.