ron sterba

Well Known Member
I have found in the book about now close you can drill a rivet hole to the edge of your material but how about a AN-3 bolt. The reason is I'am mounting my Horv stab to the two aft ears ( think they are 711c ). Just wondering how far down from the upper ear should I come down for that (.185 ) drill hole. I'am thinking twice the diameter of the bolt to the edge of the bolt hole. Would like to find it in the 43.13 hand book. Thanks guys Ron

Details

Hey Ron,
The way I read Table 4-9 and 4-10, is the assembly will fail on the bolts, provided the material is thick enough. Have a look at the notes. (above or below the ----line) The presumtion I am making is that bolts are included in the chart with the holes being prepared using the same guidlines as rivets (2D) Also see figure 4-18, this put bolts in an aluminum stringer and uses 2D.

Andrew. Thanks for getting back to me. Since Iam not a AP and just a builder of my 9A I saw your point about the diameters using the rivet 2-D & 3-D call outs. I read and reread but its time to go to sleep. I thought they would made it simple by posting a chart with thickness, alloy, and distance to edge material. I guess if I were a engineer I could figure the psi strenght and shear to get me there. I can assume that the charts that you mentioned did target the question in round about way. KISS for us and #'s for the engineer type. Thanks, If there is ever a easier way let me know. Thanks Andrew

Edge distance for fasteners

I understand the minimum edge distance is for any fastener, using the two referances previous. Another way to infer is para 4-57e special fasteners, which include steel fasteners made of the same material (125ksi) an AN bolts or stronger. 4-57c is edge distance.
I'm sure 2D is fine.
Andrew

2D

Hi Ron,

2 times the fastener diameter is used for all fasteners, bolts, rivets, blind rivets. Use 2D for all your Edge distance measuring.

Nick

Shear-Out and Tension Ligament failures are calculated based on the material properties, material thickness, hole diameter, and edge margin (edge distance) only. The type of fastener that goes in the hole doesn't matter. You can use the same "rules of thumb" for bolts as you use for rivets.

Thanks Guys. I happen to see one of the guys from a aircraft company we know and 2-D is right on. I ordered this 43.13 book at the request of my inspector of my kit. As thick as that book is you would think I could have come up with a easier question. It did however make me read alot and Andrew you were right on as you other guys were.Iam one of those guys that likes to see it in a book and learn. Tonite I was just looking thru my dwgs and found the call out for the holes in the F711c ears that the Horizontal stabilizer mounts to but was not mentioned in the manual for that hori/stab installation. Dwg 21 if anybody needs to know lower left. On another note today we had the CATTO prop people at our EAA 292 chapter meeting. Great presentation by CATTO. Thanks to our chapter for another fine monthly meeting! Good night guys Ron