Bob Kibby

Well Known Member
The transponder and tray are delivered mated. The radio and tray are delivered mated. The radio instructions mention a 3/32 hex driver to seperate the radio and tray. Nothing mentioned for the transponder but assume it is Garmin so a 3/32 should work. No joy, didn't find an enclosed driver but have several so no problem? Seperated the radio from its tray with no problem. After working 2 hours trying to seperate the transponder from its tray I capitulated and suffered the agony of defeat. Tried to call SteinAir a couple of times but no response so they must be at a fly-in. Called Garmin and talked to their GTX Field Support. They didn't have a solution for my problem but gave me the phone numbers for 2 service Centers in the DFW Area. Avionics 1st is about 15 mikes from where I am building so called them and got a response to "come on down". I presented my unmateable transponder and tray to Lloyd feeling very powerfull with my impossible diagnosis. He calmly pulled out a secret weapon and seperated the transponder and tray in a nano-sec. I said that looks like a hex driver to me but it had a balldriver hex key which allows entry into the receiver at up to a 25 degree angle. Don't know the complete answer but the parts in the locking device get out of alignment enough that a blunt end hex will not work. Hopes this helps 1 new builder save 4 hours of fustration, phone calls and driving.

Rain continues so may convert to an amphiban,
Bob Kibby

They are tight out of the box. The round headed hex drivers work good, or take a standard 3/32 allen wrench & buff the end just a little. It's a good idea to ,ark the wrench you find works with tape so you can find it again. You'll need it!