DEWATSON

Well Known Member
Has anybody done the research to find out what is now required for ELTs in our airplanes? I just read some new information and it seems that the 121.5 is out the door shortly. It's time for me to install one and I'd like to know what will give the best bang for the buck. Who is the best vendor and who makes the best ELT for the money?

Thanks,
David watson
49FD

where to mount the antenna?

The biggest problem with no good solution for the RV-8 is where to mount a 406 antenna. It must be pointed within 20 degrees of vertical, and it should not be near a blanking component like the fin. It is supposed to be on the fuselage so that if tail components break off, you still have an antenna - that rules out the top of the fin. What's left on an RV-8? the fuselage forward of the wind screen (yuk!)

There have been lots of threads discussing 406 if you search the archive. I still think that if I crash-land and stay upright, I probably don't need help right away. If I flip upside down, I need help fast. So it seems logical to mount it on the belly (and its 'vertical' even when upright!) but it can not see the satellites when upright so as I understand it, it returns an error code or something.

So, I don't know what to do with the antenna. I'm kind of tempted to mount one on the belly and see what happens.

I'm not familiar enough with this yet to even know about the antennae problem. If it's not a big problem, send me a picture of your solution. I want to spend my money wisely.

If you crash land and remain upright with the antennae on the belly, hopefully you'll be in good enough condition to maybe move the antennae to the "up side".

Also, I think I'd like to spend some money for one of the personal spot locators. It seems to me that it would be the quickest way to be found if something happened.

Thanks for your input. I'd sure like to see your solution to the antennae problem. My email is [email protected].

Thanks,
David Watson
49FD