Lionclaw

Well Known Member
After watching this video, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to be installing a 406MHz ELT. In fact, if the video is accurate, I can't imagine anyone not having one.

But the real question for me is when to buy. There is no doubt in my mind that these units will eventually be available for far less $$$ than they are now. ACS has the ACK 406 for $585, but it won't be available until April 1. I'd like to begin chopping up my baggage floor so I can make a mount, but I'm not sure which ELT I'll end up buying, and have no idea what size access hole to make.

I feel almost like I have to sit on my hands and wait until the right ELT comes along. Should I just cleco the baggage floor down and move on to something else?

From what I have researched, the most affordable 406 Mhz ELT out now is the Artex ME406 (around $1000). However, if you want the Artex to broadcast your exact GPS location, you need to add the ARTEX ELT NAV box at a whopping $1600.

The ACK ELT that is supposed to come out soon for $600 has a NMEA GPS serial input on it, so all you have to do is connect it to a handheld or panel mount gps. I say wait the month or so for the ACK ELT. There will always be something else to work on until the ACK ELT is available.

RE: ELT--keep waiting

Don't be in too much of a hurry, I have a -9A and I put my ELT in the tail between the forward and aft spars of the horizontal stab, I needed the weight back there to lighten the load on the nose wheel. Keep in mind that there are approximately 2000 airliners airborne at any one time during daylight hours and many military airplanes, they all monitor guard, 121.5/243.0. Additionally, how many hundreds if not thousands of GA with a second radios set to 121.5 and all the SAR units that have only 121.5 directional gear. You can use flight following, APRS, or Spot if you really want people to know where you are. Be patient, the prices and techonology wil only get lower and better, respectively. Dan l

The Van's ELT/Strobe mounts are a no-brainer.

I have the ACK 406. The elt mounting holes didn't exactly line up with the ones on Van's bracket, but it still works.

Buy it

About a month before your ready to fly..Even better find an old 121.5 ELT from Ebay and slap that in there for your 40 hours.

Wait as long as possible.

Frank

I have an elt in my flying airplane, put one in my 7a. I plan on buying a plb. If I even need it, it will be with me in either airplane. Push the button and that's all. A good unit that is self contained with its own gps is just under 600. Will take care of both airplanes.

Don't really want to bring this up, but Fossit had a 406 and it didn't work. An accident like his and it's all over with and the 406 will probably not work anyway.

I have an elt in my flying airplane, put one in my 7a. I plan on buying a plb. If I even need it, it will be with me in either airplane. Push the button and that's all. A good unit that is self contained with its own gps is just under 600. Will take care of both airplanes.

Don't really want to bring this up, but Fossit had a 406 and it didn't work. An accident like his and it's all over with and the 406 will probably not work anyway.
And neither would the PLB. But then with Fossit's accident, the only reason to find the body, or what was left of it, was for the family (and their attorneys).

And neither would the PLB. But then with Fossit's accident, the only reason to find the body, or what was left of it, was for the family (and their attorneys).

What I was trying to say is, with the type of accident, Fossits 406 didn't work. So you can get the latest and greatest and chances are, it still won't be enough. I was thinking last night that it would be great if they came out with a PLB that activated when a hard force was put on it. I don't know, just thinking here.

... I was thinking last night that it would be great if they came out with a PLB that activated when a hard force was put on it. I don't know, just thinking here.

They would be going off all the time. I can see them bouncing around in someone's truck, in the bottom of a flight bag that gets tossed in a closet, etc. Unlikely they will do something like that.

BTW, check out this thread on the ACK 406 ELT. The price should be in line and they are getting close to releasing it.

Last edited:
They would be going off all the time. I can see them bouncing around in someone's truck, in the bottom of a flight bag that gets tossed in a closet, etc. Unlikely they will do something like that.

BTW, check out this thread on the ACK 406 ELT. The price should be in line and they are getting close to releasing it.

maybe, but what if we can put it in flight mode. don't know just thinking. I would also think that if it's on our person, it might survive a catastrophic, if you know what I mean.

maybe, but what if we can put it in flight mode. don't know just thinking. I would also think that if it's on our person, it might survive a catastrophic, if you know what I mean.

Good idea but people will forget.

The other problem is where do you keep on your person. If in a pocket it could rip through or be pushed into your flesh. Hung around your neck and it could strangle you. The options are just not that good.

I have decided to order a PLB from ACS soon, seeing as though I have scheduled a few flying trips for 2009. First up is Key West. :)
I figure I can keep it on me and turn it on early in the "off airport landing sequence". That, combined with my APRS, ELT, and flight following should help SAR find what's left of me and maybe my plane as well.

Good idea but people will forget.

The other problem is where do you keep on your person. If in a pocket it could rip through or be pushed into your flesh. Hung around your neck and it could strangle you. The options are just not that good.

I was think of this on my way to the airport. I use a heated vest and have to plug it in before flight. So, you have a box that you install in the airplane(that captures a hit, like the elt), like next to the seat or something on the airplane, then you plug it into your PLB, walla you now are in flight mode. Now you can have a bracket just for the PLB and secure it, lets say, in the center area or any area you choose. Than buy another box thingy for your other airplane, move the PLB to the other plane and do the same thing.

You have to consider your accident scenarios. You may hit hard enough that nothing survives or activates.

There has been no data presented that I have seen that shows that a 406 MHz unit is more reliable in activating in a crash than 121.5 MHz units.

You have other options. Flight following is one and it is free. But it is not 100% even at 16,500' in the west or close to the ground all over.

Spot and APRS are two options that provide recallable position tracks. I intend to use APRS.