prkaye

Well Known Member
I am finally at the point where i cannot wait any longer to purchase an ELT. What is my best (most affordable) choice for a 406 ELT certified and programmed for use in Canada?

There is a really good post in the "Review" section which gives you plenty of info. Just a heads up that Artex is coming up with a new interface for GPS connection (ME-183 & ME-232). Neither are available as of today but I was told after talking to the tech this morning that ME-183 should be available in the next 30-45 days. It is currently going thru certification process. I have the Artex ME-406 and like it but don't have really any thing to compare it to

true cost of ownership

Phil, I'm in the same boat ( plane?)
I need to do more research on battery life and cost to recertify.

Last year my local AME avionics guy 'tested' my ELT.
It's supposed to be good for 2 years, and I change the 'D' cell batteries in this Ameri-King 121.5 unit every annual.

The new ones have about a 5 year battery life, and are NiMH if I recall, but some you have to send away for replacement, and possible also for re-cert.

Now is this annually? WHo knows!
gotta find out.

first one with hard facts for Canada please post!

thx

Phil read the latest COPA article on the 406. Don't be in a big hurry to get one yet. They aren't necessary in Canada yet, nobody knows when because they haven't been passed into law yet and the priced may come down. If you get one it will have to be programmed for Canada.

LOcal Avionics shops says...

The Lead Dog at our local avionics shop just presented to our EAA Chapter ...he spoke highly of the Artex 406Mhz units.

Maybe it is better to buy a cheap (D-cell) 121.5 MHz unit now then replace when 406 units are well established and POSSIBLY cheaper.

thinking about it... my only hesitation is that it is my understanding that there is no more satellite coverage for 121.5. Parts of ontario, especially as far norht as Ottawa (e.g. algonquin park) are pretty remote, and I would be concerned that there many not be adequate coverage by ground stations...
hmmm... certainly a lot cheaper to go 121.5 now, since I won't be doing any flying over those types of remote areas for at least a year... hmmm...

elt h*ll

Phil,
since this is a bit of a 'canajun' conversation, I'll throw in my thoughts again.
I have a SPOT, and know of it's limitations, post-crash especially.
$150 + annual fee.
am thinking of a McMurdo or similar PLB with better GPS power etc. $500 or so.
Keep the old 121.5 until the bitter end ( 3 years) and hope for a less costly 406mHz ( less than $1000) and find one that will talk to my GPS.

If you really want to put in a 121.5, ask around, there should be a few hundred/thousand on the shelf in people's hangars already, free for the asking.
but, should you have them tested ($50-$100?) and add new Lithium D-cells ( $20?) if applicable.....hmmm, now you're at the price of a new one, eh?

OK, don't tell anyone reference the following. I am in the USA and at this time we do not have a 406 MHz ELT mandate but do have an ADS-B Out mandate effective Jan 1, 2020 (see recent post on that).

I have ZERO confidence in my 121.5 MHz ELT. Yes there is no satellite monitoring. The main thing is that the activation rate is far below 100%. It is merely mandated dead weight. If I could, I would probably remove it.

I do have a 406 MHz (GPS enabled) PLB. Just sent off for a new battery after having it five years.

If you really want to be protected, Spot or APRS are your two best options now (that I know of). Spot may have a function where you can send periodic positions without the subscription tracking service but verify.

I think I also have seen a 406 PLB that may have some sort of tracking function. I think that it is Acer but don't take my word for it.

As suggested, you may be able to get a used 121.5 MHz ELT dirt cheap. Consult local avionics shops.

Here is the post on ADS-B Out

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=58446

Last edited:
What I did....

Not necessarily the answer you are looking for, but will give you my thought process on my ELT decision. Applies to Canada only... we gotta be different here ;-)

I had already bought an ACK 121.5 MHz unit a few years back, so I installed it with the thought that I can always upgrade to the 406 MHz version in the future. ACK has a same footprint upgrade, needing only a new antenna (same remote panel).

Meanwhile, until the dust settles on the ELT issue for Canada (maybe up to another 3 years), I bought a PLB (406MHz). It is about $325 Cdn from ACS. No annual fees, and battery is good for 5 years. Advantage is that it can be deployed if you ditch (while your plane may be going under along with its ELT), and has built-in gps. Can also be used for other outdoor activities. Downside, is that it does not activate automatically.

Annual testing fee for 121.5 MHz is about $50 (incl. tax), with a battery change every 2 years (about $15). Averages to $57 per year.

Annual testing fee for 406MHz is about $140 ($125 plus tax), with battery life of 5 years. Don't know the price of the battery, but would expect it to be in the $200 range. That averages out to $180 per year.

ACK is promising a 406MHz unit for $600, and available when they will finally have jumped through all the regulatory hoops.

I also use APRS, and have a friend monitor my travels, as well as being my contact when filing a flight plan (can provide last known location if SAR calls him). $120 for the unit, plus antenna. No annual fees.

Your choice is to buy what is available now, or install a 121.5MHz unit and upgrade at a later date. Either way, you must be comfortable with your choice and level of safety (or perceived safety).

I implemented a technology mix that I am comfortable with (and legal... for the time being).

options

Thanks Alfio,
I think I am gravitating towards the same setup as you have....right now....
I just press the OK on my spot as often as I can recall, and my wife can see the recent position & flight path most of the time.

What grates me is that I have to become an avionics tech and techno -geek to run all this APRS stuff, to make up for the 20% effective ELT we're forced to install.

I am also a bit concerned about the implementation of ADS-B, and equipping to visit the U.S..........but it's a minor annoyance compared with the complete cluster that has been created for border crossing by the paranoid feds ( who shall not be named).

Here in BC drugs are smuggled across the border at night by blacked-out helicopters being flown with FLIR goggles bought on e-Bay.....not by RV's going to Arlington or Oshkosh, or for a sunday afternoon burger.

but i digress.

Here in BC drugs are smuggled across the border at night by blacked-out helicopters being flown with FLIR goggles bought on e-Bay.
There's no such thing as a "blacked out" helicopter when you have radar coverage. Our border may be undefended, but it's definitely monitored.

The helicopters you see at night are probably the Blackhawks that are patrolling the border now. Want to see one closer? Fly along the border without a flight plan or transponder for a few minutes. Then check your six. :)

borderline case

hey Rob,
getting off topic, but the 'blacked-out' chopper I refer to was one seized by the RCMP in the Kootenays a week or so ago.
I understand radar in the area can't see down into the valleys, so they aren't showing up on the scopes, unless there's AWACS overhead, or a predator UAV patrolling with it's elaborate multiple types of 'eyes'.

all of which really takes some of the fun out of going to Wenatchee for tacos.

Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to bite the bullet and order the Kannad 406 from Discount avionics. With antenna it is 920USD+taxes.
http://www.discountavionics.com/elt 406 sales kannad.htm

*EDIT* - i just talked to teh guy at Discount and decided to go with the AmeriKing Ameri-King 451-20. This is less expensive, and also has the nice option that it is an automatic fixed/portable (so it can be taken away from the aircraft and has a separate portable antenna for this). Also, it has the same mounting pattern as the 450, so it should be compatible with my mounting bracket from Vans. Also, it comes with all the wiring.

http://www.discountavionics.com/elt 406 sales Ameri-King.htm

Last edited:
Update

I need my elt soon.
I am planning on grabbing one at osh/hope for a bit of a discount. Spruce is selling the Canadian registered ak451 (part 11 06966). For $739 US$ Just bite the bullet? I have a spot now. I can't see buying a 121.5 junk even for $150 Comments from smarter folks always welcome.

Last edited: