N131RV

Well Known Member
Hi all.

Started my slow build 7A in 2001. Had it 90% done in two years, then kinda got sidetracked, but thanks to some help from Shawn Scott and my #1 helper, my brother Sam, I was able to finish it this year. Signed off on 3/26 but first flight not until 4/26 due to some last minute issues that surprised me.

First flight was uneventful, lasted 40 minutes or so and I made a picture perfect landing, thanks to transition training by Alex.

Details
  • 200HP IO-360A1B6 with inverted oil and fuel
  • Hartzell Constant speed prop.
  • No paint and interior, weighed in at 1102 lbs empty.
Avionics
  • Garmin SL30
  • King Digital Transponder
  • Garmin 196 in panel mount
  • Anywhere wx map on side mount.
  • Vans engine instruments
  • Airspeed, Altimeter and VSI.
  • MGL Avionics TC-3 thermocouple instrument for EGT/CHTs
I also used the controlvision EXP-bus, mounted up high close to the firewall and the remote indicator panel is mounted on the right side of the cockpit. It saved a bit of weight an complexity in the wiring. I have another plane that uses this setup and I am comfortable with it.

The plane has been relatively trouble free during my test period. I did manage to blow an oil line early on and oil temps were somewhat high until I swapped out my vernatherm valve.

Currently flying sans gear fairings and wheel pants, as I operate off a grass strip.

Performance is OUTSTANDING. Single pilot with 3/4 fuel, I am off the grass in around 300 feet almost every time. On pavement, it's even better. :)

Current cruise seems to be around 155 KTS true. I'm sure that will improve when I add the fairings/pants. I typically cruise climb at 140KTS true and I fly 25 squared until I make altitude, then 2500/WOT. Fuel burn varies from 10-12 GPH, which is a welcome change from my old spam can (1962 210B).

Kudos to Vans for a great design. It's a terrific airplane, if I do say so myself.
I don't have any postable photos (she's quite plain right now), maybe If I can get one of my other planes sold, I can finish her up right.

JP
N131RV

JP,

Congrats on the 40 mark!

Once the engine is settled in, you might run some tests to check the gami spread in order to balance the injectors (if they're not already). That way you can run LOP smoothly and get that fuel burn down from 10-12 to 7-8. Let us know if you need any help with that process.

Enjoy that airplane...going to OSH?

dan said:
JP,

Enjoy that airplane...going to OSH?

Probably. If so I'll most likely take the 210 back to OSH.
With luck someone will see the "for sale" sign and take it off my hands. :rolleyes:

I'm "airplane poor" right now, with four flying birds. Long EZ, Murphy Rebel, C210B and the new girl, RV-7A.
All are for sale except the RV as I want to build a 10.

JP