flynwest

Well Known Member
I have an 8 with vetterman 4 pipe exaust. I have two smoke nozzels and still get the puffy smoke. Will two pipes work or does it need to be in all 4 to get good smoke? Any ideas to even out the smoke? Thanks

The lead upright aircraft in this photo is a 4 pipe with 2 nozzles into 2 pipes.

10516769_734982773212327_7043955944185925495_n.jpg

And he is the lead in the flight on the left of this photo.

10533114_734978909879380_1807453486806437461_n.jpg

Note: Sorry for the less than crisp photos. These were most recent with clear smoke on the plane to identify.
Heat, and flow rate. Those are the items. What is your flow rate coming out of the pipes?

Last edited:
flo rate

Have not checked it gpm. But keep turning it up till the belly is dripping still seems puffy. I have nozzels in pipe 1 and 2 now wondering if I should go with a different pipe.

Belly dripping is not much of a clue since any amount of oil coming out of the exhaust will condense on the metal. First order of testing is to capture your flow rate on the ground. If your not getting >.5gpm flow rate, then its time to check the system for restriction.

I'm also looking to convert a 2 nozzle crossover to a 4 pipe smoke arrgt.

Looking If the firing order is 1-3-2-4 then I'm guessing best phasing for the smoke oil would be every other cyl in this pattern. 1-2, or 3-4.

My 4 pipe

I have the Vetterman 4 pipe on my -4, and have 2 injectors in the 2 inboard most pipes. I have pretty good smoke, but still a little "puffy". I also get some oil on the belly and a few drips. My pipe tips are all angled inward, and tucked pretty close wich contributes to the belly mess I'm sure. In videos with our local formation group, I have similar density, jut puffs close to the plane...Im going to put injectors in the other 2 pipes just because I like smoke!

Just curious, but how close to the exhaust flange can the injectors be mounted? I'm ignorant to a smoke system installation but figure the closer the the head, (heat) the better burn rate of the oil?

Just curious, but how close to the exhaust flange can the injectors be mounted? I'm ignorant to a smoke system installation but figure the closer the the head, (heat) the better burn rate of the oil?

Doesn't burn. It flashes. But I am curious to know if anyone has actually measured to see if there's any significant variation. Previous systems I've had were injected some 18" below the cylinder and worked OK.

Since the oil is converting from liquid to gas on flash, the expansion rate is something like 8 to 1, but I cant remember exactly. It cant expand until it gets out of the exhaust so location is not that critical UNLESS you have low heat, in which case close to the head is better. If you doing any high altitude smoking, you have very low heat, and close to the head is better. I have mine about 4 inches from the flange. We find that closer to the head also results in less injector clogging.

got the flow rate it is .5 gpm

I'll stay with pipe one and two but I'm moving them up closer to the head. My angle valve heads do run cooler that most. We will see.

I have a vetterman cross over system and a home grown smoke system with two injectors, 1 on each side. The injectors are after the two cylinders join up. Pumping around .6-.7 gym I get great smoke, albeit with residue on the belly and dripping while its parked.

You are not burning the oil. Burning would produce black smoke. Black smoke bad, white smoke good. You are just vaporizing it.

here is a smoke shot for reference...

Looking at the shot from the ground...

I am on the left in C3 with 4 pipes and 2 injectors using Super-Dri (injectors are from Smoke System Helper)

In the center, Lead has 2 pipes with 1 injector also with Super-Dri (injector is from Smoking Airplanes)

Or the right in B3 is a 6-cylinder -8 with 2 pipes and 2 injectors using a home brew 'oil' (homemade injectors)

D5GwOsgI.jpg

Last edited:
smoke is better

I got the nozzles move and the smoke is a little better but still puffy. I have .5 gal per min. but just barley. I may try a bigger pick up in the tank next.

Most over looked on smoke system set-up; When smoke oil is injected, the exhaust pipe is cooled by the oil. Great smoke @ first, then peters out after 15-30 secs or so as the pipes cool down. The tale sign is the oiled belly. Backing off oil gph will maintain a more constant and better burn of the smoke oil. As the saying goes, "more is better, way to much is just right". More is not better, in this application.

what oil?

I have 4 nozzles in 4 pipes and the quality of smoke and the amount of oil on the belly depends a great deal on the oil you use.

If i use canopus 13 or super dry i get thick white smoke and no residue but the cheaper oil we use for practice gives thinner smoke with a blue tint, less hang time, and leaves the belly wet.

every smoking plane in this video was using canopus 13

http://vimeo.com/53638832

Cm

Last edited:
Ok finally got the smoke system working good. Had to use a little larger pick up in the tank and a bigger solenoid valve. Now we be smoken. Thanks Kahuna for the input.