Joe

Well Known Member
Has anyone successfully installed a 4-into-1 exhaust on an RV-8A? A call to Larry Vetterman convinced me it's impossible due to the location of the nosegear at the cowl exit but another exhaust supplier (Aircraft Exhaust, Inc.) asserts it can be done by prototyping with PVC tubing. If that's the case, I'd like to hear from someone who has been successful. Better yet, I'd like to buy one ready to bolt on.

Thanks,
Joe

re: 8A 4:1 exhaust

Hi Joe,

I posted pretty much the same question about a year ago. My post was met by absolute silence. Like you, I'd sure be interested in an answer to your question. I thought I'd at least break the silence some... :)

Cheers,
John
8A builder (Portland)

The nosegear on an -8A is definitely going to require some creative routing to get a 4-into-1 exhaust to fit. The other exhaust guys might be onto something if you can get a PVC tubing prototype made to fit. It'll be an iterative, trial and error process though. Have you considered a 4-pipe straight system? They sound and run pretty darned good.

Last edited:
4 to 1

It has been my experience that if you need to add bends and turns to go around something like the nose gear leg you will simply increase back pressure. Likely it's not practical and would mechanically be a step backward from the desired outcome.

I'd suggest the nosegear clan carefully study the exhaust arrangement on the fastest Lancairs.

I doubt anyone here will say it can't be done but I tried to no avail and finally had Larry build me a 4 pipe system. To compare apples to apples I also had to work around a cold air sump which sits about 2 inches lowere than a std sump.

I doubt anyone here will say it can't be done but ...

I agree -- no one will say it can't be done but no one can cite an example of it.

That brings up the question: how does one register an RV-8A in Europe where many countries have stringent noise regulations? I can't imagine the standard crossover system complies or the 4-pipe system offers any improvement in the noise category?

--
Joe

a' la Lancair

Thinking about it Dan. Lots of room out there to run exhausts out and make a nice, smooth, unobstructed airflow transition out of the cowl. I had presumed there is some unforseen problem with it given, to my knowledge, no one has done it.