Sanch627

Should the lead weight in the elevator tips bring them to neutral position balance.
Chris RV 4 #4633
Festus, MO.

I have the earlier, (larger longer) weights on my 7-A. After speaking with Vans, they are happy if the elevator just stays in whatever orientation you put it while in the jig. It does not have to return to level when deflected. Balance them in a jig off the airplane and balance them separately. Once you connect the elevators, the balance will be different due to the trim tab on the left side and the friction of the mounting points than they are individually. However, they should be balanced individually.

Think of it as a well balanced wheel and tire rotating on a horizontal axis. If you rotate the tire and stop the rotation an any random point of the clock, it should just stay there where you leave it. It does not have any heavy spot that would cause further rotation.

Here is a link to a 45 second video that I sent to Van's. They said that this is the "definition of balanced". Good enough for me.

Last edited:
Should the lead weight in the elevator tips bring them to neutral position balance.
Chris RV 4 #4633
Festus, MO.
Yes-ish..the idea is to balance them individually , best done off the aircraft on a simple fixture. They will/should stay horizontal even if moved up or down. We aren't going supersonic, so get it close. In my case, I balanced for a slightly forward heavy to accommodate for paint then adjusted as required after paint. I made the poured lead in a mold, then primed and installed in the rib with proseal and bolts.