NWTailwager

I'm New Here
Who?s got the secret for sealing up the canopy to fuselage transition? I can't even wash my 4 with out washing the instrument panel, not to mention the cockpit noise during flight. I have tried multiple types of weather stripping without success. The canopy will not close with the stuff installed. Any suggestions would help.

RV-4 Canopy seal

Don,

I've had good luck with the weatherstripping they sell in rolls at Lowes (uh...I mean the local aircraft supply store). I had to experiment with different sizes but found one just right for the front of the canopy. It's narrow and thin enough that the canopy closes fine and I don't get any drafts and it's self adhesive. I also had to use the same weatherstripping at the front of the cockpit canopy rails to seal off the front corners. I also have a different size strip down the left side of the bottom of the canopy that seals off the air there as well. And one more section behind the back seat on top of the fuselage to seal the rear canopy. They have them in black and gray last time I checked.

Did you ever do the canopy latch modification? It sure does make summer bearable with that big fan blowing in your face. E-mail me if you want some pictures. I'm out of town till July 7th but can fire some off to you when I get home.

Oly

On the front I used shims under the top cover to bring it up close the canopy and then used the soft side of Velcro. I can still get a few drops in good rain but before it was like yours, leaked if dew was on it.

For the rear I tried to make a neoprene gasket. It works ok but looks like crappola.

I could never find a household weather strip thin enough for the front but my hangar mate has about 2 rolls of the stuff on his.

I've been having the same issue...

for years. I feel your pain.

The sides along the canopy rail I use the white P-strip from Van's, and it works well. The front I have been using some black, thin, hollow stuff from Van's, and it works, but moves with the canopy opening and closing on it. I think it is the same stuff that is used on the RV-6 (-7?) canopy. It lasts about a year, and does a pretty good job. However, I am tired of replacing it every year. In the back, where the canoppy goes over the rear fuselage, I have tried many things without success until recently. I got some felt down at Ace Hardware that is used for the bottom of furniture on hardwood floors. It comes in strips, and is about 1/4" thick. It seems to work great, and doesn't move when the canopy opens and closes, it slides. Time will tell.