Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help with that particular tool but Brown is very good at standing behind there tools if you don't like it. I have two Sioux guns and love them.

Wow Mike - thats like a scene out of Miracle on 34th Street. Recommending the competition.

There's a lesson to be learned here folks. For those who aren't familiar with Mike, he is a man of integrity and he will treat you right. Not to say the others wont, but when it comes time to order my tools, Mike at Cleaveland is the man.

Buy that 3x gun and then buy a 2x gun from Mike. I built my -9 with a 3x gun and it worked great. However, after using my friend's 2x gun I realized that I would really like both! In fact I would buy the 2nd gun and an Avery's hand squeezer before spending my cash on a pneumatc squeezer.

I would ABSOLUTELY HANDS DOWN WITHOUT ANY QUESTIONS recommend CLEAVELAND TOOL's products. Time tested, high quality, proven products sold by a company that provided the best customer service I have ever experienced and well respected by RV builders the world over. You can't go wrong with CLEAVELAND TOOL! Did I mention they are family owned. Check them out:
www.cleavelandtool.com

Oh stop. As the pie is shrinking I am simply trying to point out that there are 'big box' tool companies that supply the masses, their main market is not RVs, and they spill over into the aircraft builders, then there are many companies that are built from the ground up around RV's. Advanced, Avery, Cleaveland, Stein, Aerosport, and a slew of others, where the bread and butter is the RV market. Just like your local WalMart drove out the locally owned variety store and Best Buy closed down the local appliance guy. Take Home Depot for example, pick any topic you want and go into H.D. and ask the kid (if you can find one) about it. Then go into a small locally owned hardware store and do the same. You may be saving 10%, with it you are giving up an immeasurable service after the sale. I answer calls every day that start with "I didn't buy it from you but..." so I am still providing the service but without the profit that makes that 800# ring and puts food on the table. Conversely it usually leads to people recommending me to their buddy that may order in the future. The builder education and social side of this is really where my enjoyment comes from. We could easily compete on prices if we were to quit going to shows, drop all the essential but not profitable items, and stick to selling only high ticket items on a slim margin. But that would make my job into work instead of fun ;). For now I will stick to the 'buy from the little guy' soapbox.

P.S. I guess I should have mentioned, thank you for all of the kind comments here and in other posts. I need to emphasize that Annette in C.S. and Shipping, Marshall in the Machine Shop, and Ida our part time book keeper are really the ones that allow me to do the fun part of this while they are doing the work. And most of the comments are due to their performance, not mine.

Last edited:
Also keep them in mind for some upholstery. My seats came from them as well as the bulk of my build tools and we already had the discussions on the value of the Main Squeeze in another thread.

Anybody have an experience with this gun? Is it a good deal and more importantly good quality?

I feel like I hijacked this thread. I too would like to know other's opinions on the gun kit in the original question. They are made by the same company that cloned our Fluting Pliers (and did it well), the Tatco Squeezer, and many other tools. The price certainly is right and if others have had good results I would like to know.

-

Brown Tool

Ok, I feel like I need to chime in here. Brown Tool has been a small part of the RV community for all of our over 20 years. While it is very true that we do not focus exclusively on the RV community, we value and enjoy the relationships we have developed with the thousands of RV builders who have honored us with their business over the years. We support the RV community and have advertised on this forum for many years and we have donated raffle prizes and gift certificates to fly-ins and charity events. We have always offered our 'overstock' and 'special deals' to the RV community first before we open them up to the general market because we know how much you guys (and girls!) love a bargain. My point is that we are not some heartless 'big box' tool supplier. We are a small family owned business with nine employes including myself.

I saw it posted several years ago that you can never go wrong with the 'ABC's' of tool companies - Avery, Brown, & Cleaveland - and I could not agree more. Mike and Bob are both great guys with great companies, and I frequently send people their way for items that we do not carry. In fact, if you buy a Bench Top Riveter or an Adjustable Set Holder from us, you are buying an Avery designed and manufactured tool. Likewise, there are products that you buy from Avery or Cleaveland that come from us. There is room for all of us, we all have our own areas of specialty and we all appeal to customers for different reasons whether they be service, low price, best selection, or geography.

So, let it be known that Brown Aviation Tool values and appreciates business from the RV community, and we hope to continue our long relationship with the RV community. Also, keep your eye out as I will be posting a special deal on discontinued Sioux Drills and other products very soon.

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK 73129
www.browntool.com

I saw it posted several years ago that you can never go wrong with the 'ABC's' of tool companies - Avery, Brown, & Cleaveland - and I could not agree more.

Yep, and I?ve dealt with all three family run companies, and very pleased with each. All have been just super.

My point is that we are not some heartless 'big box' tool supplier. We are a small family owned business with nine employes including myself.

Michael, I sincerely apologize for drawing that parallel, I certainly see now how that could be offensive and I know that you are not a stockholder, profit driven giant like the ones I referred to. I have been working all week, and some of last week, to raise awareness in our small town of 12,000 how driving 12 miles down the road to the big box stores is killing our already struggling local economy. We have had three locally owned businesses close in November alone due directly to this. Just sad to see, and unfortunately I got those thoughts crossed into my thoughts about the niche RV business. I was just trying to point out that while some suppliers have other markets, this is our only market, and that is why the original link to Avery.

Since you sell Sioux, Taylor, and this Red Box Kit, perhaps you could offer a comparison between them. As I said the price is outstanding for what you get.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.